We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Clean install of Win 7 from XP at last

exdragon
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi - I'm plucking up courage to get round to this at last, but can someone tell me what happens to all my Outlook 2003 stuff (not Outlook Express)? Will all emails, folders, address book, contacts etc re-appear as if by magic? I know 7 uses Live Mail.

I'm going to use Windows Easy Transfer, which my other half used, but he's just told me he doesn't have any emails etc on his desktop. I'd be slightly annoyed, to say the least, if he told me after he's done it that he'd forgotten to say all his emails were on his laptop...

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Export/copy your .pst and .pab files to another drive or flash memory or something. I don't know if Easy Transfer handles them, but you will have another copy.

Also don't forget browser favourites/bookmarks/add-ons. Do you just use IE or other browsers?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

If you are doing a 'clean' install on an empty drive you will need to have downloaded easy transfer for XP and used it to 'backup' all the files you want transferred across - W7 has its own copy installed already. There is a guide on doing this here.

If you are installing over an existing installation of XP, it will overwrite the partition and all data and it will be lost so you must save it to a separate drive - see this article for help.

You will be able to import the 'Outlook 2003 stuff' by using the 'Import Messages' facility in Live Mail - top left of the toolbar in the dropdown menu.

Like this post  
exdragon

Likes # 0

Thanks - yes, I've got XP but am going to install the 64-bit, so I realise it will wipe everything. I don't have any personal data on the C drive, it's all on a totally separate internal drive (not a partition of C). I've already backed up the Favourites, but still have to do the Bookmarks.

I think I've thought of everything...famous last words, but I'll have a look at your links.

I just hope now that this thread doesn't get hijacked by the usual inane comments.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Hmm, bit of a problem with Contacts. The .pst option backs them up, but I seem to have 2 different sets of contacts.

If I send an email and click the 'To' box, I get an up to date list of all the members of my club. If I go to Contacts (from the list on the left hand side of the screen, Mail, Calendar, Contacts etc) and click on that to list the members, I get old details, ie, including people who have left and not showing new people.

The problem is, which list will be included in the .pst back up? Checking for pab and wab files just links to the entry in Application Data/etc, and eventually displays a box which has no Contacts in at all. At this rate, it will be pen and paper!

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Ignore me, got it, I think.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Although you are installing the 64 bit version, you will find that quite a few programmes, when you install them, actually are 32 bit. They will appear in C:Programme Files(x86). Programmes that install as 64 bit are in C: Programme Files

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

john bunyan - thanks, I seem to remember someone told me that the other day. Haven't gone for it yet, I think a couple of stiff gins may indicate that tomorrow might just be a better time!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

exdragon

Very wise, Cheers. Hope it goes well. I have no regrets at all after moving to W7 from XP (Luckily I by passed Vista!) You nay find older hardware such as printers etc need to have new drivers downloaded from their technical sites, and some will install and run happily in 32 bit. Just Google the device model and download the drivers when your installation is finished (and updated, which may take a while!)Good Luck!

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Hmm - Windows Easy Transfer won't download. The message 'Appplication failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006). Check OK to terminate the application'.

It appears to be something to do with .Net Framework, but as far as I can see, all the updates have been installed. We've tried downloading it again, but the same error message appears.

Any suggestions, please, as I sit here with the Windows 7 disc all set to go?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I am no expert , but what I did 18 months ago, was to copy all my XP data to a USB HD ie all "My Documents" and sub folders. I partitioned the Primary disc to C: and (in my case) F;. The C was formatted and a disc install of w7 and other programmes was done. Then I imported the data to the F partition. Maybe wait for others to comment.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad