We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sync imap with local pop3 outlook

rsturbo

Likes # 0

i have pop3 outlook on my laptop with subfolders on inbox. i need to move (same email address) over to imap. how do i sync my current pop3 acc. in outlook 2007 to imap server - retaining subfolder file structure i have created already?

thanks for any help

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You do not sync your current pop3 account as such. Outlook 2007 will create a new inbox for every imap account. You can create sub-folders of each inbox and set up message rules so that e-mails are moved to the relevant sub-folder or to your old sub folders. But I wouldn't move to your old sub folders (file structure). The reason is that if you have sub-folder under the imap account then this is replicated on the server and automatically on every device (desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone) that accesses it and all see the same structure.

Like this post
rsturbo

Likes # 0

ok, thanks for reply.
"But I wouldn't move to your old sub folders (file structure). The reason is that if you have sub-folder under the imap account then this is replicated on the server and automatically on every device (desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone) that accesses it and all see the same structure." that IS what i want. i need to be able to send/receive emails on any of my devices (ipad, iphone and laptop)and for them all to sync together thru the imap server. eg. i dont want to housekeep the same email accross multiple devices - i want to delete email off laptop then imap will automatically delete off iphone and ipad. is this correct?

how do i move the original pop structure (inbox and sentbox both with subfolders) currently on my outlook into the imap folder on my outlook?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You can drag and drop the contents of your old structure into the new folders and they will then automatically appear on all of your devices.

When you delete an e-mail it will still appear on your laptop with a line through it until you purge the folder (found under the edit command on the toolbar). Each device will see exactly the same structure as on the laptop and when you delete then they will go from your other devices too. When you delete from your ipad then they will go to a trash folder (which is also visible on your laptop with the deleted email) and you have to remember to purge that from time to time too.

For archive purposes I drag and drop to my pop archive, these then show as deleted in my imap account and I then purge. (I have removed them from the server).

It's a good system but different from pop. Once you get used to it you should be fine. Hope this helps.

Like this post
rsturbo

Likes # 0

thank you for reply. nearly there now.. if i delete from laptop then items are deleted from ipad and iphone. BUT when i delete from iphone or ipad the items are still in the laptop (even after purging all folders). is this a setting on the i devices somewhere. eg iphone; settings/ mail,contacts,calendars/accounts/account/advanced/mailbox behaviours/deleted mailbox i get the option put choose ON MY PHONE - Trash ON THE SERVER inbox, drafts, sent items, deleted items, deleted messages, junk e-mail. i have tried both on my phone and on the server. but i cannot get items to delete from laptop even tho i have deleted from iphone or ipad.

hope you can help.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

When I delete on my iPad then they are moved to the deleted folder and I have to purge from there. This is the same on the iPad, Android phone and desktop. Have you looked at the settings on the iPad for the imap account under advanced mailbox behaviours?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Oops didn't read your post correctly. With the iPad I have set under advanced for deleted mailbox - on my iPad - Trash, on the server a tick by deleted messages.

Like this post
rsturbo

Likes # 0

thank you so much. is there a way to set purge automatically? i take it its the box that says purge when changing folders?

thanks again for the help - much appreciated

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...