We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SBRU-10100 won't talk to Home hub

Drummerman

Likes # 0

Hi, I am trying to network my new laptop (Win 7) with my desktop (XP sp3) so that I can share files and my USB printer. I bought a Safecom SBRU-10100 which has a USB port for the printer - however - I can't get the router to connect to my BT Homehub v1.5

I can connect both PC's to the Homehub with both ethernet and wireless and can ping all the devices. I've checked the IP's, Sub Nets and Gateways for conflicts and all appear in order.

Is the 4 port DSL Router suitable for the job or should I be taking a different tack ?

Any advice would be welcome as I'm rapidly running out of ideas

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

You should be able to run the Safecom as a "sub-router" by connecting its RJ45 WAN port to one of the BT Hub's LAN ports. However, the two routers will have to operate in different Subnets; if the BT Hub operates in a Subnet (IP address range) with "0" as its third octet (192.168.0.x) then the Safecom needs to have a different third octet (192.168.1.x, 192.168.2.x etc).

However, this also means that computers connected to one router cannot communicate with computers connected to the other router. The Subnet Mask prevents the two from communicating, so to share folders/printers all computers would have to connect to the Safecom router.

Like this post
Drummerman

Likes # 0

Hi mgmcc, thanks for the reply. Home hub IP is 192.168.1.254

Do I take it that if I set the safecom IP to 192.168.2.xxx and the lan IP addresses of the pc's to 192.168.2.xx+1 and 192.168.2.xx+2 then they should see each other through the safecom and both output to the Homehub ?

Would I have to change the gateways which are currently 192.168.1.254 and will this impact on the wireless connection of the laptop which is 192.168.1.68

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

OK, set the Safecom router's own IP address to 192.168.2.1 so that its DHCP server will allocate addresses between 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.254 to any connected computers. There may be a DHCP pool from which it allocates addresses within a smaller range, rather than the full subnet.

Any computers connected to the Safecom will have a 192.168.2.x address and their Default Gateway will be 192.168.2.1

"Would I have to change the gateways which are currently 192.168.1.254 and will this impact on the wireless connection of the laptop which is 192.168.1.68"

The Default Gateway for computers connected directly to the Home Hub remains 192.168.254, but for computers connected to the Safecom will be its IP address of 192.168.2.1

However, for File/Printer sharing, all computers should connect to the same router. Is the Safecom not a wireless router? If that's the case, then it's back to the drawing board for Plan B.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...