We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W8 on a usb key

Digital

Likes # 0

I want to try W8 on a netbook alongside W7. I know there have been articles about doing this but now I want one I can't find one! Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I think you can install win8 from a usb drive but it was advisable not to try dual boot.link.

Replace your HDD with a cheap one and install win8 via the flash drive would be my advice. It's only an evaluation key you'll get.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

I think the link shows how to load to a hard drive from usb. The poster wants to run from usb.At least thats how i read it.

I have not seen that you can not ,or should not,use dual boot - this is dual boot at the moment with win 8 C.R. In my opinion dual boot is the best option with win8 on its own partition or some may prefer virtual drive.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

This might be better in the WIN8 forum.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I use VMWare, just for a look-see.

W8 Release Preview was released yesterday.

PC Advisor page here. Dual boot instructions link on right.

RP License Key (valid till Jan 2013 I think) is

TK8TP-9JN6P-7X7WW-RFFTV-B7QPF

32 bit

64 bit

Backup your system first if you try for dual boot, just in case.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You can't run Win8 from a flash drive.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

rdave says "You can't run Win8 from a flash drive" but indeed you can, Windows 8 supports an option called Windows to Go, which allows you to install the OS on a USB drive and carry a bootable version of Windows around in your pocket. All you need to build one is a Windows 7 or Windows 8 machine and an external drive big enough to hold the OS, temporary files, and some basic applications.

http://www.tested.com/news/news/3693-windows-to-go-how-to-run-windows-8-off-of-a-flash-drive/

Not tried it myself but just google Windows to Go and there are loads of guides, myself I would only try it with USB3 as would think USB2 would be sluggish. Dual boot is another option if you have the space.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

PS Will only be available in the Pro version of final release.

Like this post
Digital

Likes # 0

Thanks to all of you for your advice which I shall now digest; hope it doesn't give my netbook indigestion!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......