We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

changing m/board

daft1druid
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am changing my motherboard and case, and am doing a system image on an external hard drive first. When I have transferred all my drives to the new case and re-installed Windows, will I be able to transfer all my old files and settings back on from the system image? Thanks, Paul

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 1

If you have an OEM copy of Windows, changing the motherboard is considered a change of PC and you may well have trouble activating it as the original activation code in the image is unlikely to be valid.

In terms of the system image, all files and setting will be present on installation.

Like this post  
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

If you have trouble activating online then take the phone option and you will have little trouble.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you are fitting a different board then the drivers in your image of windows will not suit the new board and you will probably not beable to boot from the restored image.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

But won't drivers be an issue? The 'old' drivers on the system image presumably won't work on the new motherboard - so those will need to be installed?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Whoops - should've refreshed before responding...

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

He is reinstalling Windows so drivers are not going to be an issue. He will have to reapply any settings but copying files across is a simple enough process.

Of course all your programs will need to be installed again.Here is a program I use as it will install all the popular software in one .exe file.

Ninite.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Chronus: I take your point. Oh, and - I can't recommend ninite too highly. I tell it I want Chrome, Avast, IrfanView, VLC Player, Adobe Reader, WinRAR, two kinds of Flash and some other stuff - and it just gets on with it, doing the install I would have done myself (e.g. no extra toolbars, changing default settings and so on) completely unattended. An absolutely magical discovery.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

An Image can be a good idea since it means no files/folders, profiles etc will be forgotten from the old system.

After fitting new m/b and completing the clean install, the Image can be mounted, not Restored, and files/folders copied over manually.

-x-x-

Some backup apps will restore to dissimilar hardware, but they are the paid versions and it has to be done a certain way I think.

I have seen some ideas for restoring a normal 'Free' Image to another machines or m/b.

The author said it may work if you go into Device Manager and uninstall every driver you can find (HDD excepted I presume) and make an Image of that.

If you have space and want to try, you could do that. Make a normal Image first, then a driverless Image on the off chance it could work.

Images should always be verified of course before major surgery.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more