We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

hard drive

firebirdb

Likes # 0

What does an external hard drive do ?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Store anything you want from your PC, acts as a backup to your files and folders. If your PC's internal hard-drive fails you will still have a copy of your personal stuff if you have saved a copy on the external hard-drive.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

firebirdb

I often overhear people in the repair side of PC World being told their PC is damaged, and they are charged £90 for data recovery. What do you have for a back up of your music, photos etc if your HD fails? A USB HD is one way of backing up such things. Do post back if you want advice on back ups as shops, in my view rarely give such advice.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have a read Here

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

An external hard drive on a computer is like a trailer hooked on the back of a car - you use it for extra luggage storage for your stuff. Or you can copy your stuff to it so that you have a backup copy.

Like a trailer attached to a car, an external hard drive does not have an engine (operating system W7 XP etc)installed on it. Although it may come with a backup program to make backing up easier it is not necessary to use the backup program in order to copy or put your stuff on it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

lotvic - that is a really good explanation. The only things that I would add is that some come with their own power supply and others use the USB power. For use with a desktop then I would go with a hard rive with its own power supply.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Woolwell, ditto, I also think that is best - external harddrive with own power supply that you plug in to electric socket then the usb connection from drive to pc is only used for data transfer.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Let me have a go on this too...

'Out of the box', if you don't change anything, your PC will, by default, store all your files - documents, photos, music and so on - on your internal hard drive (normally your C: drive).

The problem is, that's the same drive that your operating system and all your system files are on. If something goes wrong with your PC, one big possibility is that someone will have to erase all the information on that drive - operating system, system files, photos, documents and everything - in order to be able to fix it (to reinstall the operating system).

So, you have two choices. One, as the guys have implied, is that you continue to save all your files on that internal drive - but ensure you copy all your files on a regular basis to an external hard drive. That way, if things go badly wrong, you haven't lost all your personal stuff.

Another approach, which is the one I favour, is to set your system to automatically save all your user files to the external drive, not the internal drive. The advantage of this is that it makes backing up your files slightly less critical.

On the other hand, you should never - EVER - have only one copy of your files. For that reason, I set my external hard disk to back itself up automagically to another external hard disk so that I always have two copies of every file.

And, because I'm paranoid, every month or so I back up my backup to a third external drive which I keep somewhere else.

That's right - I get birthday cards from Iomega, Western Digital, LaCie, Buffalo... :-)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do your Birthday cards arrive 'automagically'? ;-)

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

[Stupid Churchill dog voice]: "Oh, yusss!"

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

... although sometimes, instead of sending cards, they call me on the telling bone.

Sorry for the silliness...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback