We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

RAM Upgrade Failure

Felidae Ryl

Likes # 0

Hi everyone. I just bought my 4/5-year-old Lenovo 3000 N200 (XP 32-bit) a ram upgrade - it had 2 1GB sticks of DDR2 so I bought two 2GB sticks. When I start the laptop, it stays stuck on its manufacturer logo splash screen.

I guess it might need a BIOS update? Or the laptop's just not equipped to handle that much RAM, despite what the manufacturer's specs say (which would be the first time I've had that happen). I've never had this sort of problem with ram, if anything the POST beeps and I re-seat a not-quite-in stick and that solves it.

The only difference between the old and new sticks, apart from being 1 or 2 GB, is that the old ones say "128M 64" and the new ones are "256m 64". I don't really know what that is or if it would cause this problem.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

It would certainly be counter-intuitive, if the system has two slots, and each slot can take a 2GB card, that total memory would be limited to 2GB.

Like this post
Felidae Ryl

Likes # 0

I have tried with one old stick and one new together, still no dice. I read the Lenovo guide which said it can take 4GBs.

I bought them from Amazon and they seem to do a no-quibble return, so that's my solution!

Thanks for all the responses. As it happens, I didn't make much sense out of the 32/64-bit paragraph in the first reply either, except to assume it was to remind me that there is a difference. I didn't like to look too ignorant so skated over it :p

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

PAE is a method to access memory above 4 GB; this method has been widely implemented.

PAE maps up to 64 GB of physical memory into a 32-bit (4 GB) virtual address space using either 4-KB or 2-MB pages.

The Page directories and the page tables are extended to 8 byte formats, allowing the extension of the base addresses of page tables and page frames to 24 bits (from 20 bits).

This is where the extra four bits are introduced to complete the 36-bit physical address.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I glad that has been clarified.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

:0)

Simply

Older versions of Windows 32bit systems without PAE support will not access (or even see) more than 3.5G of RAM

XP sp2 onwards should have PAE support - if the systems are fully updated.

Similarly older versions of Windows could not see hard drives larger than 127G again addressed by an update in XP SP2.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did you get the right sort: Unbuffered NON-ECC ram

Link to Crucial choices compatible with your Levano

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

ooops - Lenovo 3000 N200 :)

Like this post
Felidae Ryl

Likes # 0

I didn't check whether it was unbuffered non-ecc since every time I've bought ram in the past it has been, and the specs for these sticks don't stretch to that info. Thanks for the link to Crucial. Once I've been refunded for this ram, I'll see if I want to risk trying again.

Thanks for all the explanations of the PAE stuff too. I thought XP could only see 3.5 GBs anyway. I am running SP3.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia