We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How can I reset my network and start from scratch? xp pro

SANAP

Likes # 0

I had my network running seamlessly for years, I set it up using a guide from a magazine and had both wired and wireless working A1 and originally it was all win xp pro, 2 desktops and a laptop but got a macbook pro and got that using printer, sharing fies etc. All no problem and it was all easy peasy BUT I have mucked up big time and I think it was because I downloaded some system cleaning software, advanced care, toolwiz and pc pitstop but I was not paying attention and I am sure I clicked a few buttons I should not have done. Result disaster, no longer can share files or print etc.

All I want to do is reset everything and start afresh but how do I do that? I use a netgear router with norton security on main desktop.

I have a wii, an xbox, apple tv running as well along with 2 desktops, a laptop and a macbook pro.

Tried a few things but nothing worked, when I click on network places I get a list of shared folders but end location shows internet!!! I have to use netgear switch boxes as well but should not have caused the problem.

help

sanap

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If the problem is with a particular PC whose files and printer(s) are shared, the first thing to try would be a System Restore in case your "cleaning" software has messed up registry entries.

Setting up a network is just a matter of configuring settings so there isn't anything that you can actually "uninstall" and "reinstall" to get it working again.

Like this post
frankmartin

Likes # 0

Just go to Control panel then the System and Giving heart, look remaining and choose "manage network connections" at the relationships screen just right simply click on one of the relationships and delate as required.

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

thanks both, not sure what you mean frank its xp i have got, I tried a few things, i got one pc to connect to another but not vice versa,

try again tomoro

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Something to try is to "unshare" any folders and printers that are currently shared, reboot the PC and then set up all of the shares again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more