We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot do windows updates on a friends laptop...windows 7 32 bit system

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good morning to you all. My friend was having soem problems with her laptop and she gave it to me to look at for her. its a 32 bit windows 7 machine. I installed Kaspersky internet security 2012, and it removes some nasties, and now it works ok, only problem is that I cannot seem to get any updates for her lapop.

Whne I click on the check for updates button, I get a red x and it says the following: Windows cannot currently check for updates because the serice is not running, you may need to restart your pc. I have used the microsoft fixt it tool, and it says it has found and repaired the problem, so I restart the laptop..still the problem is there.

I have also gone to start and typed in services.msc,..then gone to windows updates and made sure that it starts automatically,..still not joy.

Any suggestions please???

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have a look at this Helpdesk article it seems very similar to your problem.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Hey Johndrew, you are a star!!! I followed the link you gave me and it all works ok now, very much appreciated for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK