We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reinstall XP with a SATA HDD

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Have been given a HP Compaq CQ10-101SA with a damaged HDD and no recovery media. Am aware that I need to slipstream drivers into XP SP3 (have a disk), but am struggling with the process.

Google has led me to using nLite for the purpose. The snag comes when I have downloaded (what I believe) is the correct driver package from th HP site and unpack it, nLite tells me to integrate the .inf file, but there isn't one.

I've never had to try this before, so would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks (off out on a job - will check back later).

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Is it a file like sp12345.exe?

These are self extracting archives.

Open with WinRAR or 7-zip or something and have a look at the files inside.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Sorry. Did you mean you already tried that by unpacking? No idea then if you already tried that.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hi robin - the download is sp46160 and withing that, I can't find a .inf.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I did a slipstreamed XP CD just recently,am using my phone to post this but will fire up the desktop and relocate the webpage with the instructions and post the link here.

Like this post
PC Bilbo

Likes # 0

If you mean SATA drivers, generic ones are included in SP3 already.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

http://maxeasyguide.blogspot.co.uk/2008/04/preparations-for-winxp-installation-cd.html

According to this page,when you open the SATA driver file,(create a specific folder for them)that's where you'll find the .inf your missing.

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

PC Bilbo - when I try to install XP, it says no HDD present.

Chegs - thanks. That's the guide I was trying to follow. Perhaps I have the wrong file, as when unzipped, there are no .inf there. It came from this HP page.It downloads as an exe file. Could you have a look and see if I have the wrong one? Thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

OK, turns out it didn't need to be an inf file after all. Followed the guide, and now have a slipstreamed XP SP3 with SATA driver - and it works! Another skill to tuck away for another day.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more