We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Drive Letters

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Utterly silly question I know, but my mind, and my search answers, are totally blank (bit of senile decay creeping in!).

Just got a new laptop and partitioned the hard disc

However, the drive letters do not show in Explorer, and I cannot for the lief of me remember how to switch them on (Win 7, 64 bit)

Help please!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have a look in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management and see if the partitions are there and allocated. You can also change the identities as required.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The partitions are formed no problem, and occupied. The drive letters also show up in Properties.

I just want them to show in Explorer. The partitions are there, with the titles I gave them, but no letters.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

This any use? Click here.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's ages since I did any partitioning but don't you have to format them before they show up with a drive letter in Explorer?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

lotvic.

No I don't think you do, I am sure that the last time I did on someones laptop to enable him to dual boot, ah but there again installing an OS would have formatted the partition. I am going to reinstall Windows 7 on the wifes PC in the morning and I will partition the drive and see whether it is necessary to format or not.

In fact the more I come to think of it you may well be right.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try this, in search box type folder options and under the view tab scroll down to show drive letters and tick the box.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Damn!

I looked there too, but not carefully enough obviously.

Thank you rdave13.

Problem solved.

Thanks for all other responses.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...