We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

unable to check for win7 updates

dvdcllns
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm running win7 ultimate on a Dell laptop. The machine has been left off for a couple of months whilst I've been away. Now I'm home again I went to check for updates etc. It say it cannot check for updates for the service is not running. How do I start the service?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 1

Maybe try one of those.

http://www.intowindows.com/fix-failed-update-installations-in-windows-7-vista-with-official-system-update-readiness-tool/

Or go back to services and stop Windows updates from running.Then set it to Automatic and start it running again.Just to see if it wakes it up.

Like this post  
dvdcllns

Likes # 0

Hi Buteman

The Hotfix was installed, seemed to make no difference. Tried switching 'updates' off and on again and all has come good. Strange too, seeing as I tried turning it off and on earlier but nothing changed. Well, it's working now so thanks for all the help.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Services.Windows Updates.Set it to automatic and make sure it is set to run .

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Should have added click on Administrative tools in Control pane then click on Services.

Like this post
dvdcllns

Likes # 0

Hi, quick answer too. Went to Control Panel, clicked admin, clicked services. Found 'windows update'. Status says it's started, albeit a delayed start up. From this I reckon it should be running. Still no joy. Tried a restore a day ago but it wouldn't, nothing was changed. Virus mebbe? All suggestions welcome.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have thought about going to W7 update site and doing update manually. Also I think there is a 'button' on there that will tweak pc to download updates automattically.

Like this post
dvdcllns

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic

do you have an address for this update site?

ta

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

All programs.Windows updates.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days