We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

whats the most likely reason for ram not showing fully within windows 7 64bit?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

Whats the most likely reason for ram not stating its correct size within a computer? Windows 7 64bit states 3GB ddr instead of 4GB, yet upon start up, the bios states that 4GB is installed. The system is running seperate pci graphics. Thanks for any tips on how I can get windows to correct this, or on any tools that might be useful in finding out the likely reason.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It would usually say about 3.4Gb left after installing W/7 etc.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

the windows 7 system panel states 'memory (RAM) 3.00 GB' exactly-should it not show the full 4GB, or is some memory set aside for use by hardware within 7, eg the external pci graphics? I believe whilst checking the system earlier some memory utilities showed 3072MB available-I wasnt sure if this was something to be concerned about

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

*available=installed

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have 3.24 available out of the 4Gb mind you I have W/7 32Bit version.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

In xp and vista 32 bit, with external hardware installed or not, windows would always show the fully installed amount of ram listed in its properties, eg exactly 2.00GB if 2GB was installed. I dont understand why only 3GB out of 4GB is being recognized within windows 7 64-bit when 4GB shows in the bios. Is there an obvious explanation? The 64 bit system I was checking earlier used two different brands of ram, four sticks I believe, but all running together at the same speed with no issues. thanks

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Is it true that external pci video memory may be duplicated in windows 7 64-bit, which is the likely reason for the missing 1GB ram, as explained in this link? I have also heard however that there may be issues with some 64bit boards/bios not supporting anything larger than 3GB, and depending on brand may not have a remapping feature to enable any 'missing' ram? thanks

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Not sure this helps at all, but I have a weird anomaly where the POST checks 1GB of RAM, th Windows system description shows 1GB of RAM - but the Crucial scanner detects just 512MB...

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Can you explain where you are seeing this,where on your PC?

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Don't know the answer, but in "System Properties" The full installed 8Gb of ram is shown in my PC

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Chronus > start button, then right clicking on my computer to show properties, the equivalent of this except showing 'installed memory (ram) 3GB' on 64-bit windows 7. The bios on boot however shows 4GB.

if the problem does not lie in being able to remap or if its not possible, and my first link does not relate, all I can find otherwise is in the suggestion of incorrect bios settings or needing to update the bios, here. there are 2 different brands of ram being used 2 modules of each brand in the available slots

thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......