We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista networking with a Mac

Graham*
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've been trying to get this to work by following guides, but so far without success. They are both connected by cable to the same router and have internet access. I can 'see' the Mac from Vista, but can't open anything - Access denied. This is supposed to be simple. Anything known, please?

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

I suppose you've gone into Sharing under System Preferences & check file sharing?

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Thanks, yes done that.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Besides checking off file sharing , you need to click Option under Sharing & check off Sharing Files and Folders using SMB(Windows) & also your Mac account.

Edit or create a folder in the Mac you want to share with Vista PC by right clicking it > Get info > then check off Shared folder.

Now go to your Vista PC and type in search box or run //192.168.x.x (your Mac's IP address,you can find it under network or you can type the Mac's registered name)

You'll be asked for your Mac's username & password, after that you should see the Mac as well as the shared folder.

Like this post  
Graham*

Likes # 0

Thanks, in the middle of all this, the Vista network facility has packed in. I only use it now because of Irfanview, hence the need to transfer files (I've been using a USB stick).

I'm now in the process of installing Irfanview on the Mac using Wine Bottler. Might be the title of my next question.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

retep888™

'Besides checking off file sharing , you need to click Option under Sharing & check off Sharing Files and Folders using SMB(Windows) & also your Mac account.

Edit or create a folder in the Mac you want to share with Vista PC by right clicking it > Get info > then check off Shared folder'.

I've done the first part, up to '& also your Mac account"

And how do I create a folder in the Mac? I've created an Account 'Vista' but I guess that's not the same thing.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

I suppose you've enabled the right click function of your mouse if not then go to System Preferences ,click Mouse & check off Secondary click & choose Click on the right side in the drop down menu.

Right click anywhere on your Mac's desktop > New Folder > give it a name such as Vista by right clicking it & choose Get Info > change the name in the Name & Extension box > finally check off Shared Folder.

You can drag & drop files/work/datas/movies you want to share/access from Vista PC in this folder, follow final part of the instruction afterwards.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Thanks, I can now access files on the Mac from Vista, but not Vista from Mac. I've tried entering the Vista 192.168 address on the Mac - Not found.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Make sure all settings in Network & Sharing Centre of Vista PC are ON, leave Password protected sharing OFF though for easier configuration.

If there is a third party firewall then make sure the Mac's included in the trusted zone.

Now right click the folder in Vista PC you want to access from your Mac and go to the Properties dialog box. Check off "Share this folder" from the sharing tab, and create a name that you'll see on the Mac.

Go to Connect to Server on your Mac's Finder Go menu, and enter smb:// in the Server Address: box followed by your PC's IP address or registered name & click Connect. You can get your PC's local IP address by running "ipconfig" from the command line.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

One step forward...

It won't take the servers name and password.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

I had password protected sharing on.

I seem to be now connected to Vista, but can't see the way past Public or Users. Nothing in either.

This was all supposed to be easy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow