We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blocked browsing link

Snrub
Resolved

Likes # 0

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ad-emea.doubleclick.net. I am unable to obtain the above link and am not sure what is blocking the link. Any ideas please?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

doubleclick.net.probably your Security programs stopping it.I think Spywareblaster also blocks it.

My Ad-Muncher blocks that site.So if you have an ad-blocker switched on it could be that.It Blocks it on I/E and Firefox.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Went there and got:

This is a DoubleClick advertising server.

Click here for the DoubleClick home page.

Click here for privacy information.

Click here to report suspicious phishing URLs.

Click here to report suspected malware URLs.

Looks to me as if it just puts the adverts on whatever page you're on. Tracking cookie so it can choose which adverts to show you.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

It's also in mvps HOSTS file.

If that is your cause, the entry can be deleted (then re-boot).

But I prefer leaving my security at max usually, so I then run a Virtual Machine (Ubuntu, say) when I get blocked sites and want access. Saves finding the cause/re-booting and messing around.

Of course, setting up Virtualbox or VMWare took a little bit of messing around initially.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Thanks for replies. I run a lot of spyware protection including Hosts mpvs files , Do Not Track Plus , Ad Muncher, Spyware Blaster plus McAfee.

I have tediously trawled through each program to see if it's on restricted sites but can't find solution.

So considering robinofloxley suggestion of setting up Virtualbox or VMWare. How difficult is this, you say it's messy which has put me off a bit?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Ubuntu iso here.

VMWare Player here. Create an account to get download.

Run VMP and Create New VM using the iso.

It is (mostly) self-explanatory.

Settings for the VM can be changed when it is shutdown, not suspended.

It's a bit of a learning curve. But at least Ubuntu sets itself up and there is a nice big Firefox button on the Desktop so you don't have to scrabble to find it.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia