We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Time to Ditch the Desktop! Newbie needs help please.

Mittens

Likes # 0

Hi, the time has come to say goodbye to my beloved PC which has done sterling service for (ahem) 7 years - I know, and it's really showing it's age now, creaking and limping along.

Anyway, I am now looking at laptops, want a 17" screen and a keyboard which is as close to a clicky regular keyboard as possible - not happy with the rubbery-type silent keys.

For my purposes a friend has suggested the following as being a suitable spec https://www.simplyasus.com/ASUSK73E-TY213V1120768.html

I wonder if anybody could suggest something similar in terms of spec, size, etc., so I have something to compare with? The budget won't really stretch too much further, so if there are any really super deals available I'd be pleased to hear about them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

Have a look at these from Novatech

I have recently also ditched my very old Desktop for a new Laptop from Novatech mine was £660 c/w Win7 pre-installed - absolutely no bloatware.

The link I have shewn above is more in your price-range. Good luck.

Like this post
Mittens

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestions - I did look at the Novatech site but the 17" screen laptops are outside my budget. I'll just have to keep looking. Do you think the changeover from Windows 7 to Windows 8 will result in those computers with 7 coming down in price?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Win7 to 8, PCs coming down in price? I think most unlikely, at least not in the near future.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 1

Have a look at Toshiba's C870 range. The base one, the 11F, is a slightly better spec than the Asus, and you should get it, around the same price, if you shop around. If you can "push the boat out", a bit, the 11G and 11H are actually better value for money, depending on what you want it to do. Both Toshiba, and Asus, are well respected manufacturers. Decent, budget 17" laptops, are as rare as "hen's teeth". If you can manage with a 15.6", there are dozens.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone