We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 product key query

CurlyWhirly
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a genuine copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (both the 32 bit and 64 bit DVD versions) along with the product key.

What I want to do is install the 32 bit version on my other PC but I can't do that using the product key that came with the package as I have already used that on the 64 bit version that I have installed.

I think the product key will work with either version but not both.

What I'm wondering is that instead of creating an ISO DVD (I don't really know how to do it), couldn't I just use the 32 bit DVD rather than use the link mentioned in my screenshot ?

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2wef4le.jpg[/IMG]

Any ideas anyone ?

Cheers.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Just to add, the reason why I'm asking is I don't want to wipe my existing Vista installation (on the other PC) if the product key doesn't work !

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes if you've bought a new key.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Should be 'yes if you've bought a new legitimate key'.

Like this post  
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Yes it is an unused legitimate product key.

I forgot I had bought it until I went through my old e-mails lol

Cheers rdave :)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just a tip,once installed go to 'System' and scroll down. It should show that Windows is activated. If not then click the link Change Product Key and type the key in again.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Okay rdave will do.

I will install it tomorrow as it's a bit late now :)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

CurlyWhirly

You must have paid between £55 and £80 odd for it and you forgot about it.Not something that I would have forgotten about.

I am sure there were problems with some of play.com's W/7 downloads as they could not be verified by Microsoft.

I suppose you could dual boot your Vista computer so that you would have Vista and W/7.More than likely you will be Ok doing a fresh install just thought that I would point out any drawbacks just in case.

Just had a read at one of the Play.Com problems.It was with laptops that they sold with a free upgrade to W/7 and it was the free upgrade that would not work.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Is it the Key you got for a tenner? as per your Thread last Sept

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've just read your link lotvic and that will not be a genuine key. Not for a tenner anyway. Hope CurlyWhirly looks on this thread before he installs 7.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rdave13, If it is that one, then it may well be a genuine key, but not guaranteed to be a genuine unused key. Might be problems several months after install if MS have it on blacklist as being activated on too many different pcs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added