We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recovery from total loss.

frybluff
Resolved

Likes # 0

I understand how, with the right backups, and "bootable media", I could recovery from most problems, but don't know how, or even if it's possible, to recover from a total loss, like a fire, or theft.

Insurance would cover replacing the laptop, but would I be able to recover my "systems". A new laptop may have slightly different hardware, and its drivers, not to mention operating system, so I presume it would not be as simple as "overlaying" my old stuff. I have Acronis, and ext hard drive (hopefully wouldn't be "lost", in the same event).

Don't have this issue, now, but, after the event would be a bit late to think about it.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I download 'my libraries' to a DVD once a month and store it about a mile from home at my stables - I lost most of my computer files and the back-up hard-drive to a power surge that the filters and UPS didn't stop several years ago. Luckily I had a spare computer at work which had copies that were only about a month out of date, that's when I started keeping an off-site backup.

I only had a problem with some old 'word perfect' files that I could not easily recover, most of the files were common formats.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

frybluff

I have several SATA HD's for my desktop which are in Pull out caddies from Maplin. I have one in and running all the time and it accts like a second slave drive. On it I update data daily with Freefilesynch. I have another caddy that I occasionally mount and after a scan for nasties I make a clone of the whole of the main drive (about once a month) Tis is kept for a doomsday scenario in a far part of the house unlikely to be reached by a fire! I also have a USB drive on which I make images about once a week, and a second copy of my data. This is also kept elsewhere. I use ATI for clones and images , and Freefilesynch for mirror copies of data. For a laptop I clone as above on a portable USB HD, and do images and data back ups as above on another USB HD.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I appreciate, with ATI, it would be reasonably straightforeward to recover, from, say, a C drive failure.

What I can't "get my head around", is how to recover to a NEW computer, should my current one be destroyed, or stolen. Unless the new one were identical, it presumably wouldn't be as simple as "cloning" the C drive, as the drivers etc, would need to be different. My, main concern, of course, is paid for software, that I wouldn't particularly want to have to buy again.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I am pretty sure that the latest ATI does allow a Full Backup to be 'Restored' to ANY PC, not just the original from whence it came.

Scroll down to Universal Restore I think this may be what you are looking for.

Apologies if I am incorrect!

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think, with a clone , there would be few problems.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

You may have trouble restoring to a totally different computer BUT you would certainly be able to access all of the contents of an Acronis Back Up file.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

My initial thought was that it should be simple, with an Acronis clone. Just buy a new computer, without OS, and "drop" the clone onto a blank C drive. However, the more I think about it, unless new computer was identical, in hardware, drivers could be a problem, which might be worse than the old-fashioned way of re-installing, bit by bit. Unless someone has a clever short-cut?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Have you not read the link in the response from Nontek?

Take your Acronis experience to the next level with our special Plus Pack add-on. This gives you advanced features, such as dynamic-disk support and Universal Restore, which lets you recover your entire system on a computer with a completely different architecture.

Isn't that exactly what you want?

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

You're right, thanks, and thanks to Nontek. Looking at headings, missed that bit. Keep saying I need new glasses.

Thanks again.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Should have gone to Specsavers!!

But I hope my link above helps.

Cheers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen