We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recovery from total loss.

frybluff
Resolved

Likes # 0

I understand how, with the right backups, and "bootable media", I could recovery from most problems, but don't know how, or even if it's possible, to recover from a total loss, like a fire, or theft.

Insurance would cover replacing the laptop, but would I be able to recover my "systems". A new laptop may have slightly different hardware, and its drivers, not to mention operating system, so I presume it would not be as simple as "overlaying" my old stuff. I have Acronis, and ext hard drive (hopefully wouldn't be "lost", in the same event).

Don't have this issue, now, but, after the event would be a bit late to think about it.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Have you thought about 'Cloud Storage', that way all your files could be stored and accessed anywhere in the world- provided you had the right access codes.

I appreciate it is not as fast to upload to the cloud, however set to do an overnight upload should fix the problem, apart from if you have a broadband limit on your account.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...