We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wi-Fi dongle fails

Clapton is God
Resolved

Likes # 0

My O/S is Win 7 Professional 64 Bit.

I've had a Dell Inspiron 620 for less than a month. Because I found Dell's onboard wireless less than useless (IF it picked up the signal from my TalkTalk router it usually dropped out after a few seconds) I installed a Netgear USB wi-fi dongle which I'd previously used with no problems on an XP machine.

My annoyance (rather than problem) is that the Netgear doesn't always fire up first time when I switch on the PC. This is solved by briefly unplugging the Netgear's USB for a few seconds and then plugging it back in.

This is an annoyance rather than a problem but I wonder if members might have suggestions or a fix so that the Netgear fires up first time every time.

The only available option in the Netgear's power settings is "Allow the computer to turn off this device" which is de-selected.

I'm loathe to update the driver but any suggestions will be welcomed.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I wouldn't rely on Windows to know if there is an update - a check with Netgear to be certain would make sense to me.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

buteman All USB controllers are OK in Device Manager - no exclamation marks.

I've already disabled the onboard wireless and the Netgear doesn't even appear in msconfig.

onthelimit1 Will do.

I did swap the Netgear to another USB port before shutting down last night and it fired up first time this morning - but there's no guarantee it'll do that next time I turn the PC on!

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

Checked my daughters computer last night and she has a D-link thing on Start up in msconfig.Now I am not sure if that is just for updates or if it is needed to run at start up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers