We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wi-Fi dongle fails

Clapton is God
Resolved

Likes # 0

My O/S is Win 7 Professional 64 Bit.

I've had a Dell Inspiron 620 for less than a month. Because I found Dell's onboard wireless less than useless (IF it picked up the signal from my TalkTalk router it usually dropped out after a few seconds) I installed a Netgear USB wi-fi dongle which I'd previously used with no problems on an XP machine.

My annoyance (rather than problem) is that the Netgear doesn't always fire up first time when I switch on the PC. This is solved by briefly unplugging the Netgear's USB for a few seconds and then plugging it back in.

This is an annoyance rather than a problem but I wonder if members might have suggestions or a fix so that the Netgear fires up first time every time.

The only available option in the Netgear's power settings is "Allow the computer to turn off this device" which is de-selected.

I'm loathe to update the driver but any suggestions will be welcomed.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Update the driver you can always roll it back if it does not work right.

In Services WLAN is set to Manual but also set at running.I suppose you could set it to automatic to see if that makes any difference.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

buteman

Thanks for your response. In Services there are two options:

WLAN Auto Config which was already set to Automatic.

and

Wired Auto Config which I've changed from Manual to Automatic.

I'll see if any other members have suggestions before updating the drivers. I'm concerned that I'll cause more problems by doing that!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure if you can go into Network and sharing center on the taskbar.

Click on Change adapter settings on the left.Now I am not sure if it gives both wireless settings on there and if so picking the Dongle settings and making it the default might help.

Like I said not really sure if you get the option or not but worth a try.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

In fact the dongle is probably the 'default' by default as I've disabled all the other wireless connections!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It could be that Windows isn't detecting the usb dongle at times. Have you tried another USB port?

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

rdave13

That thought had occurred to me but as all 6 USB ports on the rear of the PC are in use I'll have to swap it with another piece of hardware.

I'll try that and see what happens next time I fire up the PC.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

Just tried to update the driver. Windows tells me that I already have the latest driver for this dongle!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The only other thing I can think of is when you sign in to the wireless connection using a password or username for the first time I am sure there is a box on there that you tick to say keep me signed in.

Not sure that's your problem though but thought that I would mention it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe check in device manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers to make sure there are no exclamation marks beside any of your USB devices.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Clapton is God

Not sure if you would need to switch off the wireless connection on the laptop as you do not use it.Now you obviously need the Dongle to run at start up so check in msconfig to see if it is ticked on there and the laptop one unticked.

If I remember right my daughter has D-Link on her start up programs.Will check tonight when I am up there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...