We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Digital to SLR equivalent

mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

What would be the equivalent SLR 35mm zoom compared to a 36 x zoom lens on a digital camera. This one for example. Olympus SP-810

I used to have an SLR with a 300mm lens. So in my minds eye i can compare the two.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

How long is a piece of string?

Then scroll down to 'Understanding Zoom Measurement.

Hope this helps.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

unfortunately there is no such thing as a 36 times zoom for a DSLR.

Off the top of my head I would say the nearest would be the Sigma 50-500mm. A super lens, but weighs a ton and require a lot of practice to become proficient. Normally a zoom lens for a DSLR would be around 4 times.

Most, but not all DSLRs have a 1.6- 1.5 multification factor. As an example if you are used to using a 300mm on a 35mm camera you would require a 200mm lens. However in practice you would probably use a 300mm or a 70-300mm zoom.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Thank you for your replies. I certainly have a better understanding of it now. That was a useful link Nontek. Couldn't find anything helpful myself on Google. Must have been using the wrong phrases.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded