We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Zalman VGA cooler

midian

Likes # 0

I have just got a Zalman VF3000N cooler for my old GTX260. My motherboard is an old Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 v2.0 AM2 socket. The CPU cooler fan is also by Zalman which has a Fanmate 2 speed controller. The VGA cooler also uses a Fanmate 2 controller. The problem is, the 3 connectors on my MB... CPU-Fan, SYS-Fan are being used. My case fans run from the SYS-Fan connector. The PWR-Fan connector is not being used. Could I use that connector to power the VGA cooler fans?

Have been onto the Gigabyte site and have emailed them but no answer yet.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Steve

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Yes.

Like this post
midian

Likes # 0

Was after a more concrete answer rather than just a simple yes. Must be 100% sure I can use the connector before I actually go ahead with changing the cooler.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"Any help would be very much appreciated."

And yet, when someone gives you a straightforward answer you complain that its not good enough.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

... and if you were a regular user of this site, you'd know that Chronus knows his stuff. If Chronus said 'yes' to me, that'd be good enough. Well, mostly... ;-)

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

My apologies, as I was called away and did not give a more detailed response, but in this case Google was your friend and could have given you a lot of different answers. So I will try and clarify.

As for pwr_fan - various sources say that it won't control the fan speed and its proper use is for monitoring PSU fans where supported. If you have more fans than chassis fan connectors, you could presumably use this as it should be possible to power a fan off it, however. Practically this would be preferable if you didn't want to use a molex connection specifically for fan power, but its not a replacement for a proper chassis fan supply.

You could also buy yourself a sys_fan splitter Amazon which will mean you can free up a header for use with the VGA cooler, be careful fitting that as there have been a few reports of damage to the GPU.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...