We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

broadband router/modem connection

bahati0ne

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have a router/modem supplied by talktalk which I wish to upgrade. I have obtained a new router without a modem.

a)can I connect this to my existing router modem b)if not what type of modem do I require

I have tried connecting new with old but when I type in my browser 192.168.1.1 as requested by the new router setup I only get info re original modem/router.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"I have obtained a new router without a modem"

What make and model is this?

Like this post
bahati0ne

Likes # 0

Hi,

It is a ZyXEL NBG4615 and the existing is Huawei EchoLife HG520b

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

ZyXEL

Huawei

No reason why you couldn't connect via ethernet cable

however you will only be able to connect directly to the one plugged into the PC ethernet port

So connect the mew one direct to the PC to set it then once set connect the cable into one of the old one's ethernet port

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Better wait for someone else who knows more. You are connecting a nWireless router to a gModem/router. You haven't said what ethernet cables you have got connected or if your pc that you are setting it up on is wired or not.

My intial feelings are your pc is still connected (by cable or wireless?) to the Huawei EchoLife HG520b and not to the ZyXEL NBG4615

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ to the rescue :) I should have refreshed page before posting :)

Like this post
bahati0ne

Likes # 0

Sorry do not quite understand

"however you will only be able to connect directly to the one plugged into the PC ethernet port"

I have left existing wiring as was and connected new one to spare lan port on old one and wan port on new one. Will this work?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Unplug cable from Huawei EchoLife HG520b to your pc and replace with cable from ZyXEL NBG4615.

ADSL cable from phone socket to Huawei EchoLife HG520b

Huawei EchoLife HG520b - cable to ZyXEL NBG4615

ZyXEL NBG4615 - ethernet cable to PC

you can now configure the home page of the ZyXEL NBG4615

Like this post
bahati0ne

Likes # 0

hi lotvic

have tried that but ZyXEL setup stops and says connection wrong.

am looking at buying TP-Link TD-8816 modem

hope this will work

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

You need to configure the ZyXEL NBG4615 first & leave the TalkTalk connection alone.

1. Connect the ZyXEL NBG4615 to a spare PC/Laptop if possible with an ethernet cable ,if not you can use the same PC but unplug the Huawei EchoLife HG520b ethernet cable first.

2. If the ZyXEL NBG4615 comes with a setup CD then use that will make your life easier,just follow the instructions & make sure to disable the DHCP function i.e. use it only as a wireless access point .

3. After finishing setup, plug the ZyXEL NBG4615 to one of the LAN ports of the Huawei EchoLife HG520b (plug the disconnected ethernet cable back in if you're using the same PC), it'll be given an IP address by the TalkTalk router.

4. Now you can choose which router to connect to but of course the ZyXEL NBG4615 performance will be limited by the TalkTalk one.

The proper way to do of course is getting a wireless modem/router to replace the TalkTalk router, I'm not with TalkTalk but was told this router click here works very well with TalkTalk however there are loads of other options depending on your budget.

BTW the TP-Link TD-8816 modem is a wired modem/router not wireless.

Like this post
bahati0ne

Likes # 0

Thanks for that.

I really want to eliminate the TalkTalk router as this will limit the access speed of a new one.

The unit I meant was TP-Link TD8616 (modem only). I was hoping to put this in between internet and ZyXEL router.

It seems I will have to dump this and obtain a new router/modem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia