We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Update Failures

williamj

Likes # 0

In automatic Windows XP the NET. Framework 3.5 updates constantly fail and try to install on every shut down. I have used the dotfix clean up program but it refuses to clear the 3.5 and 2.0 NET Framework files. However the NET Framework 4.0 programes DO Up Date. On line Computer Tips suggest deleting files in WINDOWS in (WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download and EventCache. But I am reluctant to tamper with WINDOWS files. Anyone familiar with this problem?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have a look here: Old thread

Like this post
williamj

Likes # 0

John, Thanks for the "Old Thread" I have tried all of the suggestions, and like 'clock' I am just one of many with the same problem.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

williamj,

I had this same problem and I got round it by installing KB2518864 on its own and installing KB2572073 & KB2633880 after a reboot.

Peter.

Like this post
williamj

Likes # 0

Peter, Unfortunately when I try your suggestion in 'Custom'update I am instructed that I MUST install update (KB951847)x86 before I can install any further updates, and that update refuses to install. Incidentally the updates you specify are not even on the list of updates that are available on the P.C. with the problem. But on a 2nd P.C.(With no problems) I have they are there and listed and installed.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

williamj,

I think the updates I specified may have been suspended at the moment. I only updated on an XP "Test" partition and although I was getting reminders on several other XP partitions, which I did not update, I am not getting any reminders at present and nothing is showing as needed using the "Custom" option.

Peter.

Like this post
williamj

Likes # 0

I uninstalled .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 using dotnetfix35 Went to Add/Remove programs and checked that the update (KB951847)x86 was actually removed, and it was. Restarted the P.C. I then went to Windows Updates and started the installing of (KB951847)x86 The program downloaded but I got the advice. "Program failed to install" But on checking in Add/Remove programs .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 was actually there listed. How can I be advised that (KB951847)x86 failed to install when it actually did install? However I am still asked to install the program on every shut down and again the update fails. Wierd or what.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger