We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing Windows from Disc

Electronic_Eric

Likes # 0

Hi,

A few days ago i got a bugger of a virus and it absolutely killed the operating system. I've managed to bring it back slightly but i want to have a clean installation but for some reason my laptop just will not boot from the DVD.

I've downloaded a legitimate version of Windows 7 64Bit from Microsoft and i've burnt it to a DVD using the software they provided. So i know the DVD should be bootable. I can read the disc and start the setup program on the laptop. Since i've got the 32Bit version installed, it won't allow me to install it from the operating system i already have loaded on (Windows 7 32Bit) because of compatibility issues between the two versions.

I've gone in to the bios and altered it so that the CD/DVD drive is the first device the laptop looks at when looking from a bootable drive.

Nothing appears on screen to suggest that it wants to boot from the DVD or that i have to do anything to get it to boot from the DVD.

I'm currently stuck, as i can't think what else it could be and i just can't figure out why it won't boot from the DVD and i'm hoping that one you wise people might be able to help me out.

Cheers Rob

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Go into BIOS set DVD as first boot device and Disable all other things as boot Devices.

Save and exit (F10)

start the machine with the DVD in the drive and you should get a message

press any key to boot for CD...

if you are not get this message then either the DVD drive is not being accepted as the first boot device in BIOS or the disk s not being seen as bootable.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I asume the data you downloaded from Microsoft was in the form of an Image file.

Did you burn the image file to DVD as it was or did you use a dvd burning software program like imgburn http://www.imgburn.com/

Terry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it's an image file it will be an .iso

that needs to be burnt to a DVD as per Terry Brown says. You can't just copy it as data to a DVD if you want to boot from it.

Like this post
Electronic_Eric

Likes # 0

My latest discs i've burnt using the 'Secure Download Manager' they made me download to download the copies of Windows. It seems it was an in-built function that unpackages the image and burns it to disc. The disc i burnt using this method is definitely bootable as i tried it in another computer. The copies downloaded are in the form of images.

The first couple of versions i did, i unpacked the images using MagicISO (I think if not, a similar program) and then burnt them to disc using Nero. I've found that these versions are not bootable from the BIOS/DOS. Does anyone know the reason for this? Looking at the contents, the bootable and non-bootable discs appear to be identical.

I can't disable any bootable devices other than LAN and floppy disc and like i said in my originally post, the CD/DVD drive is the first bootable drive.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Bios is corrupted I think. Possibly by the virus. Can you enter the bios and re-set to default? I know it's difficult to reset jumpers or remove the cmos battery in a laptop.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

sometimes BIOS doesn't take the first time, change the first bootable drvice save and exit and retry do this several times, it may also be ise to set the BIOS to default and then retry.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What make and model is the laptop? if it came with W7 pre-installed then you should have been able to 'Restore to Factory Settings' which would take it back to the state it was in when you first got it. (it wipes the C: drive and installs the image from the hidden restore partition) That would get rid of any virus left on the C: drive.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe if you had W/7 SP1 on your computer you should have downloaded W/7 with SP1 included.

You can get it from here.

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool is an alternative you could also try if you can boot from USB Flash instead of a DVD.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

and you can use the same product key for 32bit to install the 64bit W7. The product key should be on a sticker on the base of laptop (sometimes it is underneath the battery so you have to take the battery out to see it) for activation you have to phone not do the online activation.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite