We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing Windows from Disc

Electronic_Eric

Likes # 0

Hi,

A few days ago i got a bugger of a virus and it absolutely killed the operating system. I've managed to bring it back slightly but i want to have a clean installation but for some reason my laptop just will not boot from the DVD.

I've downloaded a legitimate version of Windows 7 64Bit from Microsoft and i've burnt it to a DVD using the software they provided. So i know the DVD should be bootable. I can read the disc and start the setup program on the laptop. Since i've got the 32Bit version installed, it won't allow me to install it from the operating system i already have loaded on (Windows 7 32Bit) because of compatibility issues between the two versions.

I've gone in to the bios and altered it so that the CD/DVD drive is the first device the laptop looks at when looking from a bootable drive.

Nothing appears on screen to suggest that it wants to boot from the DVD or that i have to do anything to get it to boot from the DVD.

I'm currently stuck, as i can't think what else it could be and i just can't figure out why it won't boot from the DVD and i'm hoping that one you wise people might be able to help me out.

Cheers Rob

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I think we can live without people who descend into foul-mouthed abuse when things don't go their way. Anyone who professes to be computer savvy, and at the same time confesses to have a virus that "absolutely killed the operating system." is in serious need of a lesson on computer security measures.

I've deleted your tirade. I'm sure you can find some other forum in which to have a childish temper tantrum.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'