We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing Windows from Disc

Electronic_Eric

Likes # 0

Hi,

A few days ago i got a bugger of a virus and it absolutely killed the operating system. I've managed to bring it back slightly but i want to have a clean installation but for some reason my laptop just will not boot from the DVD.

I've downloaded a legitimate version of Windows 7 64Bit from Microsoft and i've burnt it to a DVD using the software they provided. So i know the DVD should be bootable. I can read the disc and start the setup program on the laptop. Since i've got the 32Bit version installed, it won't allow me to install it from the operating system i already have loaded on (Windows 7 32Bit) because of compatibility issues between the two versions.

I've gone in to the bios and altered it so that the CD/DVD drive is the first device the laptop looks at when looking from a bootable drive.

Nothing appears on screen to suggest that it wants to boot from the DVD or that i have to do anything to get it to boot from the DVD.

I'm currently stuck, as i can't think what else it could be and i just can't figure out why it won't boot from the DVD and i'm hoping that one you wise people might be able to help me out.

Cheers Rob

Like this post
Electronic_Eric

Likes # 0

I'll attempt to do a software reset of the BIOS and then i'll attempt to take the BIOS/CMOS battery out and see if that does the trick.

I've already gone in to the BIOS and re-saved the boot order.

I'll try the USB tool tomorrow if i am still having issues.

The laptop originally came with Vista 32-bit. I then did a clean install of Windows 7 32-bit. Now i have the opportunity to start from fresh, i want to see what 64-bit is like. As i have 4GB of RAM installed and it seems a waste to only run with 3GB. As i am interested to see if there is a performance difference at all. I have checked with the Microsoft upgrade tool that i can have the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

I am fortunate enough to download and have genuine serial keys of the profession version of Windows 8, Windows 7 and XP all in 32 or 64 bit for absolutely free off the Microsoft website. I would attempt to install Windows 8 but at the moment i only have access to the preview, which i don't want as i want the fully-tested with less bugs version.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[I am fortunate enough to download and have genuine serial keys of the profession version of Windows 8, Windows 7 and XP all in 32 or 64 bit for absolutely free off the Microsoft website.]

It is not like Microsoft to give anything like that away free you usually have to buy them.So make sure that they are genuine.If not you will have to revert back to Vista and use the keycode at the bottom of the laptop.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I find it hard to believe, would you share with us how come you get free keys from Microsoft?

Unless you have trial, preview, type product keys. Microsoft do not give Retail keys away, unless you know something we don't. In which case please give us all a link so that we may enjoy the same privileges.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Glad you're sorted.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I apologise if you mistakenly thought my post insulted your intelligence. Certainly was not meant to be. I was genuinely interested to learn more of how to obtain free product keys from Microsoft, however as you do not wish to share and help others you only had to say so, no need to swear at us.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I found WAT Remover that does the same.So not sure if that is what you mean.

Mind you it is not from Microsoft so probably not.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I'M SORRY THAT YOU THINK WE ARE ALL THICKO'S.

AS FOR ME -- YOU DO NOT NEED OUR HELP, SO I WIL NOT OFFER IT TO YOU AGAIN.

Yes I did mean to SHOUT

Terry

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

What a twat. Can I say 'twat'?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton, no and not really. At least Electronic_Eric hid the swearing somewhat. Google the word :)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

When thing go wrong with PCs and you know you're capable of fixing it but it is just elusive at the time I certainly know how frustrating it is, especially if you have new info not currently backed-up.

Possibly, when Electronic_Eric cools down, the long standing member might apologise for the temper shown, and will share the knowledge how the problem was fixed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers