We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fed up with google?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon, everyone,

For sometime now I have noticed that when I look for something locally, I get offered locations/firms around London. This annoyed me, but I wasn't too worried, but in the last 4 to 6 weeks I have become really hissed off with google.

You type something in on their frontpage and what you get up is a matter of pure luck as to whether or not it relates to what you want. This annoyed me, but I then found out why I got stuff reound London. There is a 'location' box when you go into the sites. It lists mine as London. I have tried their 'change location' but when I type in where I am 'Basingstoke', or 'Basingstoke, Hampshire' or even 'Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK' all I get is 'Location not recognised'. I am not an avid town person demanding that Basingstoke is on everything but I do think it is very perverse of google not to have Basingstoke in their database.

So, executive decision has been made and I wish to use another search engine which will not only recognise where I am but also only give me web sites that are relevant to what I want!! The problem is, I think, does such a beast exist? So I would like to hear from anyone who has switched from google, or who uses another search engine completely. Is it worthwhile switching to another or is the rubbish you get from google better still than what other search engines give. I know that some people will swear blind by a particular search engine but I would really like to hear from as many as possible. And no this is not a company trying to get your names and addresses, I assure you!!

I have a dual core machine, running Windows 7 Home Premium with 4 Gb ram. If more information is required please let me know!!

many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry, last post for finerty.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Using Google

Have you noticed that some sites are not found by Google, however Explorer (I use Yahoo) does not have that problem.

It seems that if you do do not take the Google adverts on your site, google 'cannot' (will not) find it.

What is your experience.

Terry

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't know about about blocking the ads on Google but I've found that it is how you ask the question that is important. Everything else owned by Google I keep a beady eye on.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

For finerty - you should be able to click on Uk websites only.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon, everyone,

Thanks to everyone for their posts. Just to make certain - again - I have just checked. My location is set as London, England - which I have never done!! I then googled 'Basingstoke' and got a load of sites in and around Basingstoke. Then I clicked on change location, typed in 'Basingstoke', clicked 'set' and got location not found!!!!! I don't believe it!!

Some of you have said I should change, which is what I was asking to start with but - obviously - did not express myself clearly enough!! My question is - having zero experience of any other search engines - which one would it be best to switch to? They all seem to make all sorts of claims and I don't want to waste lots and lots of time going through what some of you have already gone through!! I would like to know which is the 'best of the rest' as seen by you gentlemen!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Sorry to say this, and it isn't going to resolve your problem. But I still find Google to be one of the best, even though it does have its odd occasions.

I have tried a number of search sites, but Google still ticks the main boxes the most?.

Perhaps as an experiment, you could try eBay (if you use that site, and have registered your location as Basingstoke) and see if it give the distance correct on checking locations. Perhaps a pie in the sky thought, but who knows?.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Have you tried a meta search engine that trawls not only Google but also Yahoo and Bing among others? Personally I use Dogpile click here for the UK site and it also has a .com version if you need to cast your net wider.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

London is set using auto location and it is where Google thinks that you are.

I can set Basingstoke every time. Try putting in your post code which it should accept.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I checked my wife's laptop, and LO! location was London, just as mine. So with no confidence whatsoever, I put in our postcode. It immediately, switched her location!!

I have now come to the conclusion that there is a bug - serious or not, I don't know - deep within my computer that is mucking things up!! My computer is over 6 years old and it started on XP, then Vista and now 7 Home premium. My wife has suggested getting a new one but, until very recently, I have been of the opinion if it ain't broke don't fix it. But what with the google problem and one I asked about a little while ago - I can not get 'Backup and Restore' to work from 'Control Panel' - I have also found another problem and that is when I click on 'Control Panel', there appears a screen with every icon shown - at least I think every icon - but, almost immediately, a dialogue box appears and states 'Window Explorer' has stopped working, I will find a repair' or something like that. I never bothered, just closing it down. Sometimes 'Control Panel' disappeared as well, but if I tried again, or again, I would get 'Control Panel'. But what I wasn't thinking about was why is it that 'Windows Exlporer' that has stopped working, as most of the time it wasn't even open. Weird or what? I am inclined to the what, and something that has gone wrong deep inside, and the only way to correct it will be to back up all my installed programmes and data but not the system, re-format my hard drive - a full format, not a quick one - and then re-intall Windows 7 together with all the upgrades. Not a short job and as long as it is working without too much or too many problems I will leave it alone. A coward's way out? Yes, but it will also keep my temper and sanity in place.

So many thanks to everyone for their suggestions, but it is head down for me, and pray, of course.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Try the following:

Open Control panel Go to Regional and languages In Region check to make sure it is set to UK (Engl;ish)and the bottom box is set to UK (default USA) Move the tab to Languages and Select Details- Check settings for UK Go to advanced and check setting for UK Tck the box (bottom) set for all user accounts)

That should cure any problems.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......