We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dual boot

Ian in Northampton
Resolved

Likes # 0

OK, same machine as the 'optical drive' machine...

It came with Vista. I'm no big Vista fan - I prefer XP.

I could easily just install XP on it. However, as I have done previously with a Dell Inspiron 9200, I plan to dual boot it. My thinking is that, if I can't find all the XP drivers I need in the short term, I'll at least have a working Vista machine.

Once I have all the XP drivers, I may convert it to XP only (although that was the plan with the Dell a year ago, and it's still a dual boot machine...)

Anyway... I'm planning to follow the instructions here:

http://apcmag.com/howtodualbootvistaandxpwithvistainstalledfirst_thestepbystep_guide.htm

My question is: the hard drive on the machine I'm planning to dual boot already has both a C: and a D: partition. Do I therefore need to follow the instructions on the second page "create free space for Windows XP"? Or can I start from page 3?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Frustratingly, I have 'real' stuff to do now before I can get to this... :-(

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

OK - I've made my slipstreamed bootable operating system. Problem is, the resulting file was too large to burn to a CD - so I've burned it to a DVD. Will a PC boot from an XP DVD rather than an XP CD?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Having hunted for the XP-SP3 with sata drivers slipstreamed yesterday, it's on a CD not DVD. It shows up as 565 MB.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Well, I ended up with about 750MB... :-( And that's just with SP2 slipstreamed into an SP1 version of XP. In theory, though, there's no reason why a DVD won't boot in the same way as CD - is there? (Dave: I'm starting to feel this is a journey we're going through together. I really appreciate your help.)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

No reason at all that it won't boot from a DVD. My original XP disc had SP3 on it already. This shows the files and folders on the disc, link.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

That looks about right. I've got a few extra files/folders which are probably a function of the slipstream - including, handily, a .txt file with the serial key on it... :-) I'll give it a whirl - probably tomorrow now. Thanks again rdave.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

One thing I'd do is to download EasyBCD and dot net 2 to a flash drive/ disc so if you land with an XP install that can't connect (drivers), then you can at least repair Vista's boot loader,again, if needed. Don't bother if you have other laptops etc. Just a precaution.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

A happy ending!

As ever with a Windows reinstall, not without its heart-stopping moments (what do non-smokers do to calm their nerves when reinstalling Windows?)

Worst was "Unknown load error \system\rootsystem32\ntdll.dll". Research showed that a very likely cause was a faulty install disk. I took it out, wiped it on my jeans - and second time round, it went fine. (What do people without a second PC do when they come across errors during an install?)

The usual ups and downs with drivers (I always forget that Radeon drivers need the .net framework installing first, for example).

Of course, I'm not 100% happy. There's a PCI Device and a Storage Controller showing up in Device Manager with a yellow exclamation mark. I hate that, even though everything I want to work seems to be working.

I haven't even got round to the dual boot thing yet. I may leave that as an option for the future as the XP installation looks good.

Many thanks for all your help, rdave (and others). I shall the more enjoy my Sunday evening beers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED