We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dual boot

Ian in Northampton
Resolved

Likes # 0

OK, same machine as the 'optical drive' machine...

It came with Vista. I'm no big Vista fan - I prefer XP.

I could easily just install XP on it. However, as I have done previously with a Dell Inspiron 9200, I plan to dual boot it. My thinking is that, if I can't find all the XP drivers I need in the short term, I'll at least have a working Vista machine.

Once I have all the XP drivers, I may convert it to XP only (although that was the plan with the Dell a year ago, and it's still a dual boot machine...)

Anyway... I'm planning to follow the instructions here:

http://apcmag.com/howtodualbootvistaandxpwithvistainstalledfirst_thestepbystep_guide.htm

My question is: the hard drive on the machine I'm planning to dual boot already has both a C: and a D: partition. Do I therefore need to follow the instructions on the second page "create free space for Windows XP"? Or can I start from page 3?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at my previous post and the link. It might be helpful.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've found this driver for XP, link check the board spec is the same.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

rdave, many thanks. I've read your posts and followed your links. What have I missed? Re your second post: been there, bought the t-shirt... :-) It looks like exactly what I need but, unless I'm missing something (again...) when I click on any of the links, they don't take me anywhere. I'd giuess they may once have linked to the Abit site, but now just link to a Google ad page.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you're going to have a go installing XP without sata drivers (it might work depending on bios setting) make sure you create a system-repair disc if you have no Vista DVD. Have a look in Start, All Programs, Maintenance, Create a Recovery Disc.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

OK, an update... I may have found the correct SATA driver. It comes as a .zip file, which I've unzipped. Now, the question is, what exactly would I slipstream into my XP CD? Within the .zip file is a setup.exe file, but I assume that's not what I need to copy...

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry Ian in Northampton should have checked the link in Softpedia it's dead. So it's an intel chip. Back to this link, use CPU-Z to check the chipset (should be intel) then using Office viewer if you don't have office look at the Doc. covering If you've got few Intel models and you want to use only one installation disc for all of them then:

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

rdave: great idea - but that option isn't included in Vista Home Premium (according to the Help file). I have a copy of Norton Ghost around somewhere - I wonder if that would work?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't know anything about NG sorry. We're talking cross purposes here a bit. If you're going to use this link to slipstream your driver then use the folder you have after unzipping.

I take it you're not keen on the HP solution.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Sorry, rdave. NG is an Acronis-alike - you can make a restorable image of your hard drive. The HP approach looks promising. I know that the mobo features the 965 chipset so no problem there. My concern is only that I've convinced myself that the Abit board uses JMicron drivers - not Intel drivers. Do you think the Intel drivers would work? (Or do you think I might be wrong about JMicron?)

Stop the presses: I just checked on Belarc Advisor, and the SATA controller chipset is indeed the Intel ICH8, so I have to believe the Intel driver would work.

I may be about to try this...

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd certainly create an image before you dive in :) Good luck.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...