We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Configuring optical drives

Ian in Northampton
Resolved

Likes # 0

OK… Just got myself a new (secondhand) PC. It had a DVDRW drive in it, which was working fine. However, I had a Lightscribe drive knocking about that I wanted to install as well. Both are IDE drives.

First time I tried, I assumed that the existing drive was set to master. It was on the end of the IDE 80-pin cable.

I put it on the ‘middle’ output of the IDE cable, and connected the Lightscribe drive to the end of the cable

So I set the Lightscribe drive to be the secondary drive, assuming the existing drive would be set as the primary drive.

I booted the system, and it didn’t recognise either of them.

So I set the Lightscribe drive to be primary, but maintained the same position of the two drives on the IDE cable.

Now, the system recognizes the Lightscribe drive, but not the other one.

The situation is complicated by the fact that I can’t work out how to get the existing drive out to check the jumper settings – there are no retaining screws. Somehow, it seems to be ‘wedged’ in.

Now, in the back of my mind, I’m thinking that I remember that it’s important that the master drive is connected to a specific outlet on the IDE cable, and the secondary drive to the other one. I’m wondering if I’ve remembered correctly?

However, if that is the case, a further problem arises in that the IDE cable isn’t sufficiently long for me to do other than what I’ve done, and the drives themselves can’t go anywhere else.

I guess if I could get the existing drive out, I could rearrange the physical position of the drives such that the Lightscribe drive is nearer the motherboard and the existing drive is the furthest away – that way, I could connect the two drives differently. But, as I say, I can’t physically move the existing drive.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Master on the end, slave in the middle. There must be some screws somewhere - have you removed the other side of the case to check there?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try setting your lightscribe to CS cable select and see if the two drives are recognised

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks otl. I'm guessing that the existing drive must be set to 'master' then - although, if it is, I'm surprised anything works (with two master drives). Yes, I've had both sides of the case off, and there are no screws - that I can see - holding the drive in place...

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\: how would I do that?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Two Master Drives is normal, providing each one is on a separate IDE cable.

Remove Jumper and reset as CS by looking at case of drive to see which is which - usually marked.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Nontek, thanks. Even if I can't read the markings (poor eyesight) I know that the one on the right is for master, the one in the middle for slave - so I assume the remaining one on the left is for CS?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Damn thing - just won't work for me as usual!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

One last try!

here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide