We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Configuring optical drives

Ian in Northampton
Resolved

Likes # 0

OK… Just got myself a new (secondhand) PC. It had a DVDRW drive in it, which was working fine. However, I had a Lightscribe drive knocking about that I wanted to install as well. Both are IDE drives.

First time I tried, I assumed that the existing drive was set to master. It was on the end of the IDE 80-pin cable.

I put it on the ‘middle’ output of the IDE cable, and connected the Lightscribe drive to the end of the cable

So I set the Lightscribe drive to be the secondary drive, assuming the existing drive would be set as the primary drive.

I booted the system, and it didn’t recognise either of them.

So I set the Lightscribe drive to be primary, but maintained the same position of the two drives on the IDE cable.

Now, the system recognizes the Lightscribe drive, but not the other one.

The situation is complicated by the fact that I can’t work out how to get the existing drive out to check the jumper settings – there are no retaining screws. Somehow, it seems to be ‘wedged’ in.

Now, in the back of my mind, I’m thinking that I remember that it’s important that the master drive is connected to a specific outlet on the IDE cable, and the secondary drive to the other one. I’m wondering if I’ve remembered correctly?

However, if that is the case, a further problem arises in that the IDE cable isn’t sufficiently long for me to do other than what I’ve done, and the drives themselves can’t go anywhere else.

I guess if I could get the existing drive out, I could rearrange the physical position of the drives such that the Lightscribe drive is nearer the motherboard and the existing drive is the furthest away – that way, I could connect the two drives differently. But, as I say, I can’t physically move the existing drive.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

At last!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

otl: I appreciate your persistence! Yep, that's what it looks like. Presumably, nothing bad can happen if I change the jumper to CS? Worst case, it just won't recognise either of the drives, I imagine?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

CS should be OK

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Success! In the event, I think I may have accidentally screwed up. I took the case off to reset the Lightscribe drive to CS. When I was unplugging the IDE cable, it seemed to come away from the other drive rather too easily... I guess I may have dislodged it, or not refitted it properly, last time I took it apart. Anyway: I was also able to see that the existing drive was indeed set to slave, as it should be given its position on the cable - so I left the Lightscribe drive as master, plugged the IDE cable back in - firmly... - and I now have two working drives.

Many thanks to all of you who helped.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...