We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Adding an SSD

steve587

Likes # 0

I want to add an SSD to my current system (Vista 32 bit) and assume I will need to re-install Vista OS to the SSD in order to make it my boot drive. Wondering what will happen to the original version installed on my HDD, with all the updates and Service Packs etc.??? Will Vista recognise and access these from the HHD, even though it has booted from the SSD?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I can only say how I did it and I'm sure there are other methods. With the original HDD in place I first cloned it to another HDD in an usb caddy. Just as a precaution as I wanted to use the original HDD for data and it was younger than the 'cloned' HDD.

I'm running Win 7 so you will have to find out if Vista will align the SSD drive correctly.

I then physically removed the Sata drive and installed the SSD then did a fresh install of Win 7. Installed an AV as soon as, then optimized the drive with a freebie called SSD Fresh, link, then did the updates. Once I was happy with the installation,security, etc I then insalled a Hard drive manager.(Note the SSD drive should be in the first sata slot on the motherboard sometimes numbered "0" or "1". I put the original HDD in the usb caddy and reformated the old C: partition then physically installed it in the PC in slot 2. That was then my data hard drive.

I didn't need to go to the bios to change to Advanced HostController Interface but sometimes it's needed. That's about it but hopefully someone has even a better method.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

One thing I missed was I also installed the mobo drivers obviously.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I just did a straight forward clone from my original 'C' drive W7 to my SSD drive, then moved the SSD to sata 1 position.

To format my original C Drive I just unplugged the sata connection and used a sata to usb cable

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Two things to look out for. Vista does not support trim so find an SSD that has its own trim program, see this thread.

If you do a straight forward clone then check the partitions alignment, see here.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

rdave13

Thanks for the reminder, but I'd already been there and done that.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

hssutton,I'm sure you had but as you'd bumped the thread I just remembered that Vista doesn't support trim but does align the partitions in a clean install (from what I've read). For steve587's benefit really.

Like this post
steve587

Likes # 0

Thanks both for the feedback - the OCZ link is very useful.

cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED