We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Google Earth won't initialise

stlucia2
Resolved

Likes # 0

A few days ago I "upgraded" from free ZA firewall to free ZA firewall + anti virus. I then uninstalled Avast, and everything seemed to go fine.

But then I found that Outlook Express was failing to connect with my Gmail account, and Google Earth wouldn't go past the initialising stage when I tried to load it. I've solved the OE Gmail problem by ticking the "This server requires a secure SSL connection" boxes in the Advanced Properties screen (it ran okay before with them unchecked), but I can't sort out Google Earth.

I've uninstalled Google Earth and reinstalled it, but the result is the same -- it doesn't go past the initialisation screen when I try to load it. I can't find any help for this problem on the Google pages, so does any one have any ideas, please?

My PC is running Windows XP fully updated, and EI8, and Google Earth has run just fine for the past few years.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take a look at the suggestions here enter link description here

Scroll down to find GianluG who suggests running CCleaner from here if you don't already have it installed enter link description here

Like this post  
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thankyou Northumbria61. Running a registry scan with CC has done the job. It found quite a lot of "issues", despite the fact that Revo Uninstaller had previously scanned the registry after uninstalling Google Earth a couple of times. Many of the entries were to do with Microsoft Silverlight, which I haven't knowingly installed; and there were a few Google Earth ones at the bottom of the list.

So, why did it happen in the first place? Revo Uninstaller says that MS Silverlight has been installed recently, so was it installed by ZA when I updated to the firewall + anti virus version, and was it the cause of the problem?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen