We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Yorhost, my domian has stopped working

James106

Likes # 0

I have two domains registered with Yorhost. One of these stopped working a couple of days ago. Emails I have sent to Yorhost have been unanswered, their LiveHelp is off-line and their telephone line is closed. I fear the worst!

Due to my current experience I searched the web today and found that back in November 2011 others had a similar experience. I found nothing more recent than this.

My main question is what do I need to do to get the domain that is now not working working again and what should I do about the domain that is at present working. I guess I need to find a different ISP. My memory from the last time I moved ISP's (in 2004) is that I would need bits of information from Yorhost to do so. What would happen if I can't get this?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You could try http://www.nominet.org.uk who might be able to offer some advice?.

Like this post
James106

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. Very helpful. I've been told by Nominet that the domain has been suspended as its not been renewed. My choice is to get Yorhost to renew or find another ISP. I don't see any prospect of Yorhost doing the renewal. Any recommendations of an ISP would be most welcome.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Different people have there own preferences, but I have used 1&1 http://www.1and1.co.uk for many years without having problems, with regards their services.

They also remind subscribers about 6/8 weeks before a domain expires, so that it can be renewed. Payment is automatically taken for renewals, unless you inform them that you do not want to retain the domain, and then perhaps let someone else have the domain for future use (safeguard?).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I am sorry to bring you bad news. I have just discovered that Yorhost is the new name for webmania which I think went bust. About 18 months ago I had major problems with webmania with the renewal of a domain name. They didn't answer e-mails or letters and the phone wasn't answered. To transfer the hosting of the domain name I had to get a transfer form completed to get the tag on the domain name removed. I got the form from nominet and sent it to webmania. No reply from them at all in spite of prompting. It was only a small amount of money and I wrote off the domain name and established a new name and account with a reputable company. I regret that I do not hold out any hope that you will be better off.

Like this post
Teddie5000

Likes # 0

I have had two new customers this month request help with moving a .com domain away from Webmania. I have written a blog article here on how to do it:

Nominet is easy (.uk)

ICANN (.com .net etc) is much harder.

http://www.edwin-cooke.co.uk/blog/2012/08/help-with-web-mania-accounts/how-to-get-your-domain-away-from-web-mania-ltd/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...