We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External Hard Drive Not Working.

chaoscow

Likes # 0

Hi there, I've had this external for quite a while and I just use it for backup when i decide to reformat my computer or to store my photos on. It has been working fine until a few days ago it sometimes show as something been plugged into usb in the lower right hand corner but not alwyas. The hard drive keeps buzzing like "buzz....buzz....buzz....buzz....buzz" when plugged in and turned on. I tried a different computer and tried using a different encloser to a seperate external we have laying around. Neither worked.

Can it be repaired? If so how? I have some important financial information both personal and business.

Thanks!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

They can be repaired, but if it is the HDD that has failed it will hardly be worth the effort. You could try the HDD in another caddy (enclosure) - they can be purchased empty - or fit it in a desktop to see if it works first.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Sorry meant to say. If it is the HDD that has failed there are companies that will recover the data where possible - at a cost.

Like this post
chaoscow

Likes # 0

Ya like i said i've tried using a different enclosure. so how can they recover data off a broke hard drive?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Google hdd freezer trick. You may be lucky.

Recovery companies can save the data on the platters by taking the drives apart. But it's not cheap and no guarantee of success.

As you now know, backup drives are for backup, not a convenient large space.

Keep several copies of important files on different physical drives. DVDs and cloud services also useful.

Good luck. Sorry I can't suggest anything more positive.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Freezer trick is last resort

Plug it in does it come up as found USB device?

Does it show in device manager or more importantly disk management?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'