We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where have the tabs gone in my Firefox?

polymath
Resolved

Likes # 0

They disappeared recently, about the time I updated to Firefox 12.0 (I haven't been changing any settings lately). A tab used to appear for each web page I visited, that stayed visible until I closed it; now there's only a tab for the page I'm on.

I tried a little cross at the top left labelled 'open new tab', but I couldn't see anything happening. A little down arrow next to it, called 'list all tabs', just tells me what web page I can see in front of me (however many I've visited in the session). Tools - options - tabs has the option 'Open new window in a new tab instead', but it has no effect that I can see.

Is it some setting I could do/a feature of FF 12/me being dim/a combination of these? I can still use History to go back to recent pages, but it means quitting the current page. A task I want to do needs 2 web locations open at once.

Under History I can see 'Recently closed tabs' and 'Recently closed windows' options, but they're greyed out.

Vista SP2, Adobe Flash Player & Foxit Reader were also updated recently. I use AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 (updating automatically) & Windows firewall.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell. The nearest thing to a centre button on my mouse is the scroll wheel, so I tried it when clicking on a link, and it works! (Its tab stays).

Is this normal behaviour for the latest Firefox then? (Having the different kind of click for staying open) If so, I can see it might be a good idea, but I wish they'd somehow told me about it!

rdave13; as a matter of fact I have been fending off some toolbars, including Ask, while updating software recently. I'll check for any that might have slipped through the net! I was unable to dodge a Foxit PDF Creator Toolbar (though I did unselect it from Firefox's toolbar list).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Use of the scroll wheel has been like that for a long time.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I've been following this thread, because a few days ago the same happened to me. W7 64bit and yes the scroll wheel solved the problem.

Trouble is my aging brain has now got something else to remember.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

hssutton - the W7 64 bit is irrelevant. The browser and its settings are what matter. But I've always used click/scroll wheel for a new tab. As for the brain I find that mine overwrites some information!

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

It's the first I've heard of that use of the scroll wheel, Woolwell. Since moving here 20 years ago, I've hardly ever seen another person using computers; it's just me, sites like PC Advisor, and trial & error! (Though I did learn about computers fairly thoroughly back in London in the 1980s, which is still useful).

I'm sure the Firefox I've just updated from was the latest version until recently, but I might be wrong. Does the scroll-wheel click apply to other browsers/other types of software?

I don't think our brains actually overwrite things - it's just the difficulty of remembering all the filenames when we've accumulated so many.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It works with other browsers.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK