We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where have the tabs gone in my Firefox?

polymath
Resolved

Likes # 0

They disappeared recently, about the time I updated to Firefox 12.0 (I haven't been changing any settings lately). A tab used to appear for each web page I visited, that stayed visible until I closed it; now there's only a tab for the page I'm on.

I tried a little cross at the top left labelled 'open new tab', but I couldn't see anything happening. A little down arrow next to it, called 'list all tabs', just tells me what web page I can see in front of me (however many I've visited in the session). Tools - options - tabs has the option 'Open new window in a new tab instead', but it has no effect that I can see.

Is it some setting I could do/a feature of FF 12/me being dim/a combination of these? I can still use History to go back to recent pages, but it means quitting the current page. A task I want to do needs 2 web locations open at once.

Under History I can see 'Recently closed tabs' and 'Recently closed windows' options, but they're greyed out.

Vista SP2, Adobe Flash Player & Foxit Reader were also updated recently. I use AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 (updating automatically) & Windows firewall.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not sure, the little + should open a new tab.

Have you tried rightclicking on a link and choosing 'Open Link in New Tab'

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

edit, as Not sure, the little + should open a new tab sounds unclear re meaning.

Should be: Not sure why the little + is not opening a new tab, it's supposed to.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try starting FireFox in safe mode. Press the shift key when clicking on the icon. If tabs work ok then it could be an incompatible addon or plug-in.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Just looked again at the 'Open a new tab' option (via the little +). It takes me to a page headed 'New Browser Tab', with a search box below, and a list of 'recently visited' (at least some of which aren't). I suppose it did constitute opening a new tab, but I had to use History to get back to this forum (which then became the only tag again).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Open a new tab as you have and you get the recently visited etc. Do not go back but in that tab click on the home button and you will probably have a more recognisable page.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave (I didn't see your post at the time). I tried opening FF in safe mode; no tabs there either (but thanks for reminding me to try Safe Mode more often for problems!)

I did that, Woolwell, and it worked. Thanks! At least, it works if I go to 'Open a new tab' each time I open a new page. I can do what I wanted to now, but has Firefox 12 done away with automatic tabbing? (There are times it could come in handy, if it's still an option).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Not sure what you mean by "automatic tabbing". Do you mean open a new tab when you click on a link?

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Yes.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Are you clicking and holding down the centre button on the mouse?

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just a thought, you don't have the ask toolbar in your programs and features list? This can cause problems sometimes or even another toolbar, even though you tries safe mode.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...