We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows update installation failure

Gwynedd

Likes # 0

Suddenly can download but not install Windows updates - in particular for .NET Framework 3.5 and for Windows Office.

Am running Windows Vista SP2.

Microsoft has given me a .NET Framework 4 'repair'which looks within my capabilities, but the 3.5 'repair' is way beyond me.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You will need to tell us what Microsoft has told you to do for us to offer advice/help.

Like this post
Gwynedd

Likes # 0

Microsoft refers me to article kb976982! Reading it, and with my limited techical expertise this seems beyond me. However, reading PC Advisor forums and other forums, it appears that this .NET Framework problem is an ongoing nasty headache for lots of us. I think that I will go down the route suggested by several irate posters and reinstall Vista - or go the whole hog and install Windows 7. I suppose I could always wait for Windows 8 and buy a new pc.

Like this post
So Afraid

Likes # 0

I downloaded and installed updates but after a restart it tells me i need to install the same updates, using XP.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try a system restore first. Go back to a time windows update was OK. Change how to update to 'just notify me'. When notified install one update. Do the same again until you're updated. Dot Net updates can be a pain and sometimes take a while to install even though you think the PC isn't doing anything. Whatever you do, do not cancel any updates, concerning Dot Net Framework updates, through being impatient. I learned that a few years ago.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

So Afraid, make sure you only have windows update to notify you of updates. Don't allow to download and notify just notify. Once you get the yellow icon click on it then untick the boxes for the updates in the pane that opens. You will then get the option to hide the updates, do that. Next run windows update and that should show you have no updates pending as they are already installed. Leave the updates hidden as you already have them installed.

Like this post
So Afraid

Likes # 0

Yes thanks i will do that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote