We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best Security

Mrs Bear

Likes # 0

We are a small business with 6 pc's - what would be the best form of security for our nextworked computers. we currently only have AVG freeware. We have heard Bullguard, Kaspersky and Norton are quite good. Any suggestions please.

thank you.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've found all the various antivirus do a pretty good job of stopping most of the nasties (some always seem to get through anything), but remember you should only have one AV. I also have superantispyware (free) which is an antimalware prog - for a business, you may do better to pay for it as you get additional features. I'm sure you'll get lots of different advice depending on which programme people use themselves.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Most of the free AVs do a pretty good job - even Microsoft Security Essentials; there is an independent review here if it helps. I used to use AVG free but found it to have changed over the years to a format I was less happy with; I now use MSE.

If you add a decent active anti-spyware and firewall (routers have an additional firewall that can work ahead of that on the PC) you should be as safe as is practical for a business.

Oh yes, and ensure employees stay away from sites with poor reputations!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Most would have there own favourites, and I have tested, kept and dumped a few products over the years.

When you have made a decision through possible recommendations, you could simplify the task for obtaining the downloads, by using these two 'safe' websites http://www.majorgeeks.com http://www.filehippo.com

Personally, I find Avast and SuperAntiSpyWare reliable free products. I use to have ZoneAlarm as a firewall, but after a number of update problems, I left Microsoft own product as a firewall.

Perhaps worth pointing out, that using to many Anti programs on the same computer or system, might cause conflicting problems and errors, so be careful on your selection. Having to many is not always the best policy, simplicity is the best.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As it's a business I would consider paying for security. The company I work for use Kaspersky. The suit is not cheap however. Six licences for a year is £190 unless you can find it cheaper elswhere.

Kaspersky

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

On Amazon a 1 PC licence is £15.78 for 12 months. Correction for above is that six licences is for 2 years.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

You also need to be aware of the license terms, most free anti virus is one copy only for non profit home use. I think Comodo permit business users on their free antivirus but would strongly recommend you check it with them as the penalties for breaching the terms if F.A.S.T catch you are pretty draconian.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

7 lessons Apple could learn from Microsoft (yeah, you read that right)