We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Router Test Lead

Legslip

Likes # 0

I want to make up a lead so that I van check B.Band speeds at the incoming point using croc clips on the end of the socket to router line cable. What colour(s) are the A & B wires in a standard lead?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm intrigued, but not sure I understand which cable 'from where to where' you are meaning.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove faceplate off the MAster phone socket and there is a test poit inside that takes a standard telephone cable.

couple the router using its own cable to this point and carry out the speed test.

this will eliminate extension cables and the possibility of a faulty faceplate (had to renew my faceplate last month).

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Lotvic & Fruit Bat and good to hear from you again. Understand about the faceplate but a lot of people I know have wiring to additional sockets tee'd in before the socket faceplate. On underground fed properties, BT generally have a grey box on the outside wall. I would like to test there and see what the true BT Bband speed is. My pal is currently with Plusnet and is getting 0.2mb. He does have cables goin everywhere, that's why I want to test on the end of the BT line with his cables disconnected.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Your find yourself in hot water playing around in BT's external boxes.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Beta but if you report any fault and it's on the non-BT wiring, they charge about £140 for the visit. I'd sooner take the chance and test at the true end of their wiring.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Go ahead. It's only a pair of cables in there anyways, don't forget your marigolds.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That's a £1,000+ fine if you mess with those greybox cables and anything beyond the test socket on the Master.

If you remove the faceplate on the master socket (which is the extent you are legally allowed to do) you can see that the additional sockets are connected to that faceplate. By removing the faceplate and revealing the Test socket you have disconnected ALL internal wiring and extensions.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

How far is your pal from the exchange? How are you going to test the broadband speed? I would leave well alone and get plusnet to do a test.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

He is a LONG way from the exchange but 0.2 mb is ridiculous. just going to clip his router onto the end of the BT line and do a speed test with all back wiring disconnected. If it's still 0.2mb then it's a Plusnet/BT problem.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"the true end of their wiring" is the test socket behind the faceplate of the Master Socket.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...