We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Circular Boot Motion

Abel
Resolved

Likes # 0

I’m having difficulty booting into Windows. When I switch my machine on it goes through the usual procedure of checking memory, then searching for hard drives. At this point the ‘Windows XP Professional’ logo appears, and for few moments the anticipation is that my Desktop will appear. Unfortunately not, the procedure then reverts to checking the memory over again in a circular motion. Your valued help please. Abel

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Tap F8 (F5) at boot from the menu select

Last Known Good Configuration.

if still same then try safe mode

if still same post back for details of how to do a repair install without losing your data.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat! I've tried the 'Last Known Good Configuration' bit, but still the circular reboot goes on. Please let me know how to do a repair install without losing my data.

Abel

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your instructions on how to do a repair install to my Windows XP OS. Firstly, I apologise for not dealing with the problem sooner which has been unavoidable. However, this-morning, having followed your instructions carefully the result is the comment ‘The partition is full, damaged or unformatted.’ This is certainly not the case regarding being ‘full’ or ‘unformatted.’ My HDD is 200 GB in two partitions each of 100 GB. The partition obviously damaged is the ‘C’ drive but the ‘D’ drive, on which I’ve backed-up my files with Acronis TI 9, appears to be OK. The question now is, is there any way of recovering the data, or a way of loading the OS on this drive and altering its title to ‘C’?

Abel

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Boot to command prompt from the F8 menu and try a

c:\fixmbr

press enter

ignore any messages that come up about losing data (you can't get at it at the moment anyway)

also worth trying

c:\fixboot

press enter

See if it will then reboot to windows.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Still no joy Fruit Bat. I kept pressing the F8 key while my maching was booting and got 'Windows Advanced Options Menu' from which I selected 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt' I assume this is the option you mentioned? The command prompt didn't show, instead I got continuous rows of Multi Disk something or other and after a short while the machine went into its circular boot mode again.

Abel

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

try going into your BIOS set up screen (often delete key on start up but it may be F1 or 2, or possible another depending on your motherboard) and tell your BIOS NOT to reboot upon error (halt on all errors), restart and see if you get an error message and post it back to see if someone will recognize it

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

'Safe Mode with Command Prompt'

No you just need command prompt.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat, there's no actual 'command prompt' option on the F8 menu only the one I mentioned.

lotvic, which of the BIOS menu items has the 'halt all errors' option in it. I've looked at them all briefly, with great trepidation in case I cause further problems,and I can't spot it.

Abel

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ok, then don't go into bios just yet, try this first: On the F8 menu, On the Advanced Boot Options screen, select Disable automatic restart on system failure.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more