We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Circular Boot Motion

Abel
Resolved

Likes # 0

I’m having difficulty booting into Windows. When I switch my machine on it goes through the usual procedure of checking memory, then searching for hard drives. At this point the ‘Windows XP Professional’ logo appears, and for few moments the anticipation is that my Desktop will appear. Unfortunately not, the procedure then reverts to checking the memory over again in a circular motion. Your valued help please. Abel

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Another thought I had, have you checked for loose connections and reseated (take out and put back in again) HDD, DVD, CD cables and Cards etc attached to your motherboard? especially the RAM memory sticks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Do you have an Acronis rescue disk to restore the image on D: to C:?

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

lotvic,I shall try your suggestion tomorrow. Fruit Bat,the short answer to your Acronis question is No, unfortunately!

Abel

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Fo;llowing my first instructions

Use the XP CD to get into recovery console

at the c:\windows prompt

do the fixmbr and fixboot

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

lotvic, tested by disconnecting and reconnecting all devices as suggested but no luck I'm afraid.

Fruit Bat, first of all I tried fixmbr and became very nervous when it said that all partitions could be destroyed, or words to that effect. It then asked if I wanted to proceed. Despite typing in N and subsequently E in both upper and lower case to represent No or Exit it failed to cancel so, right or not I simply switched the machine off. I then tried fixboot which behaved perfectly. It said the bootsector was corrupt and having checked the file type said a new bootsector had been written. At the C:\ prompt which followed I typed EXIT. The machine then gave me various options to proceed and I chose boot normally. Frustratingly it went into its circular motion again.

Abel

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

tried fixmbr and became very nervous when it said that all partitions could be destroyed

Acronis overwrites the mbr as it makes a Hidden partition - this is why window thinks it is corrupt

Ignore the warning and let fixmbr do its job. See this thread

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Absolutely no joy Fruit Bat. Cirular booting still going on despite Fixmbr.

Abel

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat, am I to assume that the partitions have now been destroyed after Fixmbr? If not, I'm wondering why something as obvious as reformatting the C partition and recovering the back-up from the D partition has not been suggested.

Abel

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

If you made an Image backup, that could be restored. (make a boot CD with ATI on another PC or download the Trial Version to make the CD??)

If only a File/Folder backup, the OS needs repairing or re-installing first with associated re-install of all apps and settings etc)

FixMBR doesn't destroy partitions usually. I guess that is just a warning about worst case.

Have you tried chkdsk c: /f /r from the command line?

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......