We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Netgear WiFi Range Extender WN2000RPT

wotbus@

Likes # 0

Scenario: ADSL Box in office ground floor - Range extender in 1st floor lounge - portable Win7 64 in dining room next to lounge (1st floor) Setup proceeds and completes as it should but the problem: The portable connects to the new link *_EXT but with "no access" (the extender is not connecting to the router). Having read several reviews about connection problems with this kit, none seem to have the problem I have. Anyone please? Thanks.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have just read another article that clearly says that you can connect wirelessly and that the ethernet points are for connecting a desktop pc and other equipment - conflicting information. This article clearly said that the important thing is to get the siting of the extender right.

How about deleting all of the connections and starting over?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just came across these posts which may throw some light on the problems you are having - look particularly at the post by foandyodie and the following posts that suggest IE is not compatible with this extender.

Like this post
wotbus@

Likes # 0

Well, didn't we almost make it - this timmmmeeee. Correct connections everywhere - no red crosses in the network map - all LED's correct - strength 5 - Internet Access up, loud and clear - Wizard offers congrats on successful setup - but - launch the browser and wait...the little circle turns, turns, turns...forever :-). So, plug in the Ethernet cable, log in to Netgear, double check firmware is up to date...yawn. Disconnect the cable, disconnect from *-EXT, re-connect to router network as normal, launch browser and b'#'#'@@ it! Netgear has now highjacked my home page so I get the Netgear Homepage adjacent (left hand side) to my normal Homepage? Talk about test your patience. Any idea how to sort that?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

So near

Are you using Internet Explorer? If so

Open google.com.
Click the Tools button (which looks like a gear) in the browser,

then click Internet options. Click Use current. Click OK.

If you are using Firefox -

Tools, Options, General - enter URL of home page that you want.

In my previous post I attached an article which stated that Internet Explorer is not compatible with this extender.

Came across another article that says changing the ext network from WEP to WPA/TKIP did the job

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Extract from a post I have just read:-

"First, please make sure you have reset the extender correctly: make sure the extender has power, then use a paper clip to press & hold the tiny reset button on the extender for 10 seconds. Then wait a few minutes. Next, from a laptop/wireless computer, connect to the wireless network name called NETGEAR_EXT (it will not ask for any password XXXXX resetting the extender) , then wait a few minutes, then open Internet Explorer (or your Internet browser), then a setup screen will appears automatically, then follow the on-screen instructions to re-set up the extender.

Like this post
wotbus@

Likes # 0

Hi difarm - what a carry on. Regards the browser, I only use FF. My home page opened as it should but slightly narrower as another page opened with it but tall and slim on the left? This page was the Netgear page! I have since cleared the problem but I don't know what I did. I was just clicking around looking for tools/properties/options etc, found something called Private Browsing what ever that is, had a look at it but it told me I hadn't anything in the history? Still none the wiser I carried on. Closed the browser then opened it again and the problem was gone! I have followed the paperclip bit several times and did so to get to the almost point this afternoon. I used this method copied from a link: http://ad-agency.hubpages.com/hub/Netgear-WN2000RPT-Setup I am wondering if it's because I have my main computer connected by cable to the router (ground floor). The router also sends out the WiFi signal which is picked up on the first floor workable albeit not very strong. The Extender picks it up OK in the lounge part of lounge/diner and the Laptop connects to the Extender 5/5 from the diner (where the laptop is operated). The Extender connects to the Router OK and shows 2-way data on the LED. I'll have another look at it all tomorrow but there seems so many different ways to set it up and try when really as per the manual should be only the way...Thanks for your continued interest ;-)

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Private Browser is when Firefox doesn't keep any browsing history.

It may just well be that the placing of the extender in exactly the right spot is the key. Is your lounge on the same floor as the router and if so what is the wifi signal like on that floor? You say that the laptop connects to the extender from the diner which is on the same floor as the lounge - I am unsure as to what the wifi signal from the router is like in the lounge diner, without the extender? Are you sure it is connecting to the extender and not to the router? Have you tried the laptop upstairs where the signal is weak?

Good idea to sleep on it.

Like this post
wotbus@

Likes # 0

You are right about placing the extender in the right spot - skip I reckon :-). Router = ground floor office front of house. Laptop in diner 1st floor rear of house = strength 2 and drops out regularly. Laptop in lounge 1st floor front of house = strength better 3 (out of 5). With the Extender in use = Extender in lounge shows Orange for workable. Connect the laptop to it from diner , which is approx half the distace from the router in terms of distance/structure and the laptop shows strength 5. I am certain I am connected to the Extender and not the router as I have to change from one to the other to be on the net (for the Netgear stuff). Having read all I can, and it's been a lot, I am now at the point where I will have to start wandering around the house with the Extender active and on the end of a giant mains extension lead and with the wife at the laptop yelling "left a bit, up a bit, hold it right there" without knowing I am halfway up a set of steps in the back garden LOL. I was close yesterday and may, just may, try again today. Watch this space...

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I think you will be able to write a book when you have finished. If you decide that it just doesn't work for you then perhaps you may consider home plugs - have heard many excellent reports. They come for both ethernet wired and wireless connections.

Will watch this space.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September