We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I Backup Pre-Installed Operating System

buckeye

Likes # 0

Whats the best Software for backing up Files and Operating System on HP Pavilion Slimline..OS is pre installed..running Vista 32 bit.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

My preference would be Acronis True Image. You can buy it at Amazon as well.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I prefer Paragon Hard disk manager 12 but it's each to their own. Easus Todo backup is free but I've never used it so can't recommend or otherwise.

Easeus-Todo-Backup-Free

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

+1 for EasusToDo, Acronis has become far to bloated.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Usually pre-installed OS already come with OS Backed-up, on 'hiddden' partition.

But for normal Full Backups, Acronis True Image is my choice.

Like this post
buckeye

Likes # 0

OK guys...will all of these definetly restore my OS

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

For the O/S Vista, You should have HP Recovery Manager application which gives you a menu of choices to restore.

Perhaps you have never burnt your Recovery DVD's? (2 DVD's that take you back to Factory Restore) you can only do this once as then the option disappears on HP slimline.

Disconnect from the Internet and close all other software. Creating recovery discs is a resource-intensive process. Click Start , and then All Programs . Click PC Help & Tools and then Recovery Disc Creation to start the program. A Welcome screen opens.

Rest is on (with screenshots) Creating the Recovery Disc Set (Windows Vista)

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Windows and personal data can be precious.

Best advice is use two of methods.

Make Recovery DVDs (recovery partition leave intact)

Then make Image Backup and do that every 2 weeks or monthly. (sometimes I have done it daily, when fiddling with OS)

Easeus/Macrium/Paragon/Acronis/DiscWizard/WDAcronis are the apps to use (+make a boot CD/DVD)

W7 Backup and HP also have solutions. Personally I think they cause problems.

Easeus/Macrium my favourites.

And of course you need a £50-100 ext USB HDD for proper imaging.

If you don't have one, get one or budget for one.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Agree with robinofloxley, that's what I do. I then have the option of 'Back to Factory' - or with an image of my C:\, back to 'up and working in half an hour' with no configuring/tweaking/reinstalling programs I've added, to do. Personal Data I keep on a separate harddrive anyway and also back that up/copy it separately.

Like this post
buckeye

Likes # 0

I have a 500GB external HD ( Seagate ) which I am going to use for Backup Is it OK ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ext HDD is perfect for backups as long as it is big enough for your data.

Have you decided which program to use yet?

If any of your harddrives are Seagate or Maxtor then you can get a free DiskWizard program (it's actually a version of Acronis) download from Seagate site

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes