We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CPU fixing bracket failure

Furkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

M4A78LT-M LE + Phenom II x2 560 BE (A3 socket) Well, after spending time & money (Jan 2011) rebuilding my desktop machine, I am very disappointed that the CPU connector plate failed yesterday.

I was having physiotherapy and heard a clunk from my desk. I couldn’t see anything fallen over, so carried on with the physio’. I was about to take the panel off the machine, when it shut its-self down.

When I did open it, I was dismayed to see that the heat-sink & cooling fan had dropped off & was resting across a couple of expansion cards. On closer inspection, I see that one of the fixing lugs on the adapter/fixing plate had snapped off. I’ve never seen this before, even on cheaper stuff, so feared the worse.

I've dropped DABs a line to see about returning it, but now it looks like they want me to send it to Asus. Doesn’t that go against UK Law ?

I have now seen that you can buy these adapter plates – so I guess it’s a more common occurrence than I thought. As I am disabled, I do rely on my machine, possibly more than most, and of course I can’t run it at all at the moment.

1/ For the sake of speed: does anyone know where I can get such a plate (A3 socket – bearing the word: AMCO) ? I’ve looked on an auction site, but the only A3 I come up with is from Hong Kong –(400294708174)- and that isn’t quite like mine. Mine is more ‘open plan’ – just the outer frame. Have also Googled it, but can't seem to get anywhere.

2/ I am concerned about any damage caused by this thing falling apart. If I do have to return it – should I insist that DABs take it back, and not Asus ?

thanks

PS: I don't see any formatting tools or preview on this version of PCA. Have I logged onto an older version by mistake ? I arrived here via Google, on a friends machine.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Not wishing to hijack your conversation, but I had cause to ask the FE to pass my details on a few months ago and mentioned the loss of functionality of the 'envelope'. Apparently it was removed as a result of abuse, so whether we will get it back I'm unsure.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

You are having a laugh surely. The last "upgrade" was a backward leap never mind step. It is about time PC Advisor used vBulletin.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

ooooooops,,,, just ticked the Subscribe box. I wondered why I didn't get emails, on this borrowed machine. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It would also be nice to be able to Edit or Delete our own posts.
I needed to edit my OP as soon as I'd sent it.

Thanks again to Chronus. I'm looking forward to seeing if any lasting damage was done to my machine.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus,

Just thought I'd tell you that the bracket hasn't arrived yet.

Not complaining, I just didn't want you thinking that I'd received it & said nothing.

I'll let you know when it does.

cheers

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I am not sure why you posted here when you have my email address,so be it. Unfortunately the bracket has not arrived and I can only assume that this is the fault of Royal Fail. I can only restate that as soon as I get it I will post it on to you.

Like this post  
Furkin

Likes # 0

Chronus:

Many thanks for the bracket. Its exactly what I needed. Its in place & I'm hoping get up'n'running on monday.

As there was no charge, i'll add a few quid to my next Cancer Research donation.

all the best to you all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback