We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CPU fixing bracket failure

Furkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

M4A78LT-M LE + Phenom II x2 560 BE (A3 socket) Well, after spending time & money (Jan 2011) rebuilding my desktop machine, I am very disappointed that the CPU connector plate failed yesterday.

I was having physiotherapy and heard a clunk from my desk. I couldn’t see anything fallen over, so carried on with the physio’. I was about to take the panel off the machine, when it shut its-self down.

When I did open it, I was dismayed to see that the heat-sink & cooling fan had dropped off & was resting across a couple of expansion cards. On closer inspection, I see that one of the fixing lugs on the adapter/fixing plate had snapped off. I’ve never seen this before, even on cheaper stuff, so feared the worse.

I've dropped DABs a line to see about returning it, but now it looks like they want me to send it to Asus. Doesn’t that go against UK Law ?

I have now seen that you can buy these adapter plates – so I guess it’s a more common occurrence than I thought. As I am disabled, I do rely on my machine, possibly more than most, and of course I can’t run it at all at the moment.

1/ For the sake of speed: does anyone know where I can get such a plate (A3 socket – bearing the word: AMCO) ? I’ve looked on an auction site, but the only A3 I come up with is from Hong Kong –(400294708174)- and that isn’t quite like mine. Mine is more ‘open plan’ – just the outer frame. Have also Googled it, but can't seem to get anywhere.

2/ I am concerned about any damage caused by this thing falling apart. If I do have to return it – should I insist that DABs take it back, and not Asus ?

thanks

PS: I don't see any formatting tools or preview on this version of PCA. Have I logged onto an older version by mistake ? I arrived here via Google, on a friends machine.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

You're being a great help - thanks. I'm in West Cornwall,,,,, we don't seem to have much in the way of PC shops, but I'll have a good look around the local ads & phone book.

I'm annoyed at dabs for passing the buck - but now they're part of BT, I wouldn't expect anything else.

I'm also annoyed that it took me all day to talk to someone at Asus UK. Even then I had to call Holland, where I was glibly told "we don't offer help,,,, you'll need to go on the Asus forum".

oh well,,,, i'll keep looking. I'm watching the used one on FBay, so will probably go that route.

Later I might consider a new cooling system, that doesn't use the same sort of brackets.

all the best

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You will still need that type of retention bracket unfortunately. See here. brackets.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

A friend is sticking one in the post to me with any luck I will have it Wednesday. So it is yours if you want it.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

That's very kind, of you & your friend. I know I'm being cheeky,,,, but could he/she send it straight to me please, to save time ?

Let me know what I owe you.

Can I PM on here - to send my address ?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Sorry but by the time you had responded to my post the item was already in the post. So if you still want it email me here.Bracket.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for everything mate. Have dropped you an email with details.

The thing is, that I have lost faith in this sort of set up now. It's only been on there for about 15 months,,,,, so I'll be forever expecting it to occur again - and who knows what damage can be caused by such heavy parts dropping all over the place inside the case ?

I s'pose, if I really have to, I could revert to the 'old days' & lay the case flat - and hope it dosn't effect the cooling etc.

I'll let you know as soon as the bracket arrives.

thanks again for your help & time - well appreciated.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Replied to your Email.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Good-luck to all of you i hope you get the CPU sorted out, and thanks Chronus you are inspiration in disguise.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

finerty

Thanks for your kind words,its just a pity that we do not have the ability to PM other forum members where we could offer personal help more easily.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'a pity that we do not have the ability to PM other forum members '

I'm with you on that one - perhaps we should badger the FE. He could include an edit button in the 'upgrade' perhaps!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft launches Office for Android: Check the system requirements first

IDG UK Sites

8 reasons you should start a blog

IDG UK Sites

Do we need to fight the government again over design and art education?

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch release date & UK price rumours: Watch 'not confirmed' for April release in UK says...