We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems Copying / Pasting in Excel, - Could This Be Due to Insufficient "Swap File" Allocation?

thegreypanther

Likes # 0

I continue to have problems in copying / pasting when using Excel spreadsheets. If I use Excel as soon as the PC starts up, I can copy and paste without any trouble. But once I have been using my PC to do other things, I soon find that I can't copy and paste as I would like to. I can sometimes copy a single cell, but if I want to paste that cell into a range I get an error message.

Is there any chance that this is somehow linked to too small an allocation for "Swap Files"?

I have 8Gb in RAM on my PC, so I can't see that this could have any bearing. But is there some part of the PC where temporary files are stored that is getting clogged up? Or am I just guessing?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Try this link related to the problem that I had with Excel copy and paste which was caused by Skype. Is there a connection with your problem?

Like this post
thegreypanther

Likes # 0

Compumac.....

No link included. I have Skype on my PC, so I would certainly be interested.

Like this post
VoG II

Likes # 0

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Missing link

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4134590/skype-excel-problem-as-well-as-internet/

It was the Click to Call function in Skype that caused the problem

Like this post
thegreypanther

Likes # 0

Looks like Skype's Click to Call function IS the culprit! Many thanks everyone for the advice. I've uninstalled the function and all seems to be OK with Excel. Bit of a weird one, this.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

I know it sounds obvious but have you put the original office disc in and used the repair option,sometimes it something as simple as a corrupted file that needs repairing.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

I know it sounds obvious but have you put the original office disc in and used the repair option,sometimes it something as simple as a corrupted file that needs repairing.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

oooops sorry to early for me

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room