We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Com Port for PsiWin

WightRob

Likes # 0

I have just found a thread from 2009 by tallboy about requiring a com port for his Psion connection. It's nice to know someone else is still using a trusty Psion! I am about to have a similar problem as I am building a new PC. I also encountered problems with a com-usb converter when I tried to use one with my Vista laptop. If you spot this thread tallboy - did you get yours sorted? I guess I could install a card with a com port, does anyone know of such a card?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I used to be a Psion enthusiast and my Psion-based website is still in place, although it hasn't been updated for a number of years now. PsiWin connections were always somewhat temperamental and they frequently didn't work with USB/Serial adapter cables. If you want to use a Serial COM port, I'd strongly recommend installing a PCI Serial Port card to implement the port properly. The question that I don't know the answer to is whether PsiWin 2.3.3 will actually run in Windows 7, if that's the operating system you're going to be installing.

You don't mention which model of Psion you have but, with a Series 5 and 5mx, I never actually connected them with PsiWin. Instead, any files I wanted to transfer to the PC I put on the Compact Flash card and then plugged that into a CF reader in the PC. My internal drive was copied to a folder in the CF card so that the entire Psion was backed up in the PC.

Example of PCI Serial Port Card

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I wrote some simple Psion Basic programs, years ago, to control Industrial Machines for maintenance.

I used Serial (hand-built cables) since I didn't have a standard RS232 to connect to.

I seem to remember I could do almost everything I wanted by sending ASCII codes. (Printing to the port??)

So I could start a motor by sending "Mxx1" and Stop by sending "Mxx0". xx being the number of my motor. All highly specific to my situation.

The only thing that defeated me (Series 3 thru' 5) was I wanted a motor to start when I held down a key and stop when I released it.

I had all the tech manuals and Googled (or Alta Vista'ed??) and even spoke to Psion Tech Support.

Key Press and release detection wasn't possible. I worked around it in the end.

Fun days.

Like this post
WightRob

Likes # 0

I'm using a Series 3c. It may be old but it's still in almost daily use. I like the reliability, the simplicity and the security (no-one is ever going to hack it!). I have manage to run PsiWin on Win3.1 95, 98, XP and Vista. I'm not sure about Win7 but I'm hoping that XP mode will help if necessary. mgmcc, when you mention Compact Flash, are you talknig about the Psion cards? I didn't know there there were readers for these cards, this could be an option. Also the com port card you show seems cheap enough. Thanks for the info.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"mgmcc, when you mention Compact Flash, are you talknig about the Psion cards?"

The Series 5 onwards used standard Compact Flash cards as used in early digital cameras and these could be read with a CF card reader. The SSDs used in the Series 3 devices are a proprietary format for which there wasn't, to my knowledge, a reader for the PC.

Like this post
WightRob

Likes # 0

Oh yes, I remember now when Psion switched to more standard components. I never upgraded to the Series 5 as the software I was using on the 3 was not compatible. Still, as I say the old Series 3 is doing sterling service. I have had to rebuild it a few times though with parts scrounged from other machines. The problem is always a weakness with the hinges. Never a problem with the software though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia